CBR1100XX.org Forum

Concours14 ABS Question

TPXX

Yeah, I know it's a Blackbird forum. The ABS pump module is clogged. The motor appears to work and the front brakes work, but the rear brake pedal is locked up.Brake line can be bled up to the unit, but on the other side it can't be bled. A new unit is almost $1300. Has anyone had any experience cleaning/fixing one of these things on another bike?

Any solvent put into a brake system is likely to ruin all rubber seals.

There are some recalls on the rear brake system for sticking pedal and dragging brake, have they been done?

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Any solvent put into a brake system is likely to ruin all rubber seals.

There are some recalls on the rear brake system for sticking pedal and dragging brake, have they been done?

Recall for sticking pedal due to road debris was done. They added a deflector or some such. Now the pedal is hydraulically locked

1 hour ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Convert to standard brakes.

That is an option, just hook the rear master cylinder directly to the rear caliper and bypass the abs.

1 hour ago, OrganDonor said:

Not under warranty anymore? I still have just shy of three years left my my second extended warranty.

No more warranty, I should have gotten the extended but did not. Mine is a 2007/2008 model.

1300? Unless I could find a good used unit cheap I would consider converting. That could be a big liability when it comes time to sell though.

Talk to a dealer.  I've read of a few of these units having that issue and there may be a free repair, kinda like a recall but without notifications sent out, I think it's called a repair campaign.  If not, maybe a call to corporate would work.  I also read of one guy that whacked the pedal with his heel a few times when it would stick and it would then work for a while.  If it'll free up, then bleed it out maybe it'll fix it.  Maybe smack the ABS unit with a small hammer if the pedal won't free it up.  If it'll free up I'd go out and do some intentional hard braking to activate the ABS and get shit moving in there, then bleed it to flush out any corrosion debris.  It's unlikely clogged in the typical sense of stuff getting into it, I'm guessing moisture and lack of activation lead to a stuck valve.  If it works I'd add doing a 'lock up' to my regular riding routine to keep it from sticking again, it's also good practice to know what it feels like.

Tho deleting it may hurt resale value, it probably won't drop it by $1,300 and some people might even find it a bonus since it appears to be a troublesome unit.

Dealer was not helpful at all. They said it was way to long out of warranty to cover. I showed them some forum links where Kawasaki had replaced the abs units out of warranty and this appeared to be a bit of an issue with the bike. They called Kawasaki and they said no as well. So I did a bunch of research and found that the ZZR 1400 abs unit has been used as a replacement for the concours, and I was able to get a used one for about $300 vs $1300 for a new one. It is on the way. In the meantime I played with my abs and think the solenoid to the rear wheel is sticking. I wacked it a couple of times with a dead blow hammer and it worked for a few miles, then locked the brake pedal again. So the rear wheel abs is bypassed right now awaiting the new unit to come in. May be time to sell it and get a ktm adventure :)