CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibration in neutral

Rattlinbird

Hi,

Hoping for some advice. I have a 99 FI 'bird 19k miles. Major service, tyres, chain 3k miles ago. Took the bike in for some cosmetic work on the failings and had chain adjusted at the same time. Took it for a 400 mile run massive vibration through handlebars, seat and foot pegs. Tried adjusting chain again. Vibration still present and most importantly the vibrations are present even when the bike is in neutral. Oil level is good. Hoping some light can be shed before I take it to a garage where I will be charged a fortune as they change every component on the bike. Cheers and thanks

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If the vibes started immediately after work was done to it you should take it back.

+3 that would be, me myself , and I.

Edited by cecome

was the tank pulled?

The fuel line is a angled banjo bolt that has a slotted guide. Idiot proof right ?

Not quite.

mount it upside down, and the fuel line will kink, causing fuel starvation.

I found this when I was replacing the fuel filter that was also causing a intermittent stumble and rough idle.

edit, if you choose to check your filter, remember that the filter does a 180 degree turn.

Blowing through it will give you a bath.

And yes, I am that stupid.

Edited by redxxrdr

Thanks for all of your advice. The guys who adjusted the chain seem to know what they are doing. I would suspect the previous garage who did the 16k major service. The garage who adjusted the chain have been very helpful. They didn't ride the bike as it was only in for cosmetic work and MOT. I am going to check the front sprocket, perhaps bearings have gone and when the chain was adjusted it made the problem apparent. Mystified as the only mechanical change was minor chain adjustment. 

if it has a vibration while not moving i dont see how it could be the chain.i would of thought that would only come into play when the bike is moving.when the bike is in neutral and stationary does the vibration get worse as the revs are increased ?maybe the cam chain tensioner has crapped out

• Upvote 1

Ballencer adjustment

My 01 has also developed a vibration twice, after long , high heat, idle.

Daytona bike week traffic. 😡.

Mine went back to smooth pretty soon, but I always figured to try the ballencer adjustment , IF, it came back.

Ive found the life span of the tensioners varies widely on my bike.i had one crap out a few years ago with less than 10,000klms on it.it went in a bigger way than usual with it rattling from under 2000rpm.easy way for you to check it is to undo the 8mm bolt and see if you can wind it in a little while the bike is idling.see if it makes any difference