CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibrations over 120 mph

Nixx

Hello all,

I bought my 1998 bird last year with only 23000 miles, done 7000 with fast commuting. Finally i managed to do 130+ mph. From 120 mph the front of the bike starts to vibrate.

Is this just the age, or someone had a similar problem? Previously I had two more birds, bought from new, and they were beautiful at high speeds (130+). I will appreciate your comments/suggetsions on why she is letting me down...

thank you

My first thought Is tire or tires.

With 30k miles, you should be on at least your third front and fourth rear. 

Have YOU replaced tires since you owned it?

It might help to post make, and date code of the tires.

Next, chain. You are probably 1/2 way through your second chain.

Get close and personal with it. Move each link seperately. Just one binding link will shake the bike like a bad tire.

Try pulling the chain rearward from the rear sprocket.  A good chain will show little gap between the chain and sprocket.

Do this, then rotate the tire a little and try again.

Chains stretch in sections.  If you find a area that really pulls away from the sprocket, then you probably found the problem.

You could also have loose head bearings, worn wheel bearings, a sticking fork, etc.

But my experience on many bikes lean toward tires and chains.

And if a chain, spend the money on a quality O-X chain.  They really are smoother, and last longer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

Mine also.  If the front tire is in good shape with normal air pressure, next have it rebalanced.  I have noticed that some tires that are on the market have very stiff sidewalls, too stiff in my opinion but anyway, they seem to transmit more vibration at high speed.  After that, what red said.

13 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

With 30k miles, you should be on at least your third front and fourth rear. 

Have YOU replaced tires since you owned it?

It might help to post make, and date code of the tires.

Next, chain. You are probably 1/2 way through your second chain.

Get close and personal with it. Move each link seperately. Just one binding link will shake the bike like a bad tire.

Try pulling the chain rearward from the rear sprocket.  A good chain will show little gap between the chain and sprocket.

Do this, then rotate the tire a little and try again.

Chains stretch in sections.  If you find a area that really pulls away from the sprocket, then you probably found the problem.

You could also have loose head bearings, worn wheel bearings, a sticking fork, etc.

But my experience on many bikes lean toward tires and chains.

And if a chain, spend the money on a quality O-X chain.  They really are smoother, and last longer.

Nailed it, tires and chain. 95% of the time it's one or the other.

6 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

While changing tires be sure to always inspect your wheel bearings. 

Had a front go out while out of state at like 25k miles and had a rear go out on another bike at 11k miles. 

Really? Unusual for sure. Maybe over torqueing axles?

I went through several sets of front bearings before I finally got a set that lasted.  Always use the torque wrench on my stuff and remove/reinstall the wheels myself.  Now that's not to say the motorcycle shop didn't overtorque them on the balancing machine...

2 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

And in my case , it's because my knees are knocking.

well never been to 165 ish indicated 135 was my best with bad suspension and lousy ca roads....wish I had the room to let her go for a mile or so.