CBR1100XX.org Forum

Upgraded lights and switches

fizzy

If you call replacing Honda with Suzuki parts an upgrade, then yes, this is an upgrade.

My turn signal switchgear was worn beyond repair, so instead of replacing it with same I used a Suzuki switch from an 07 bandit (used off eBay). 

This switch contains 2 extra buttons, a headlight flasher and a hazard switch, but also 2 problems.

1. Suzuki switch wiring harness has different connectors, wire colors, even number of wires, and I don't have wiring diagram for this part.

2. Blackbird turn signal switch is actually 2 switches in one, 1st on for the flashers, 2nd off for the daytime running lights( DRL). The Suzuki is a conventional single function switch.

#1 fixed with electrical tester, soldering iron and lots of head scratching. For anyone interested, PM me for all the details. I wont bore y'all with that now.

#2 fixed with LED bulbs from superbright led.   1157-aw60-sa  amber white. Also, you need clear lenses. This bulb has the  2 functions built in, so single function turn switch works fine. It burns white until you hit the turn switch, then white goes out and it flashes amber. White returns when switch is off. Very bright, almost too bright, although I see new cars with similar DRLs, so I guess its ok.

One word of warning. The clutch switch goes thru the ECU, so DO NOT ENERGIZE THESE 2 WIRES WITH 12V.!!!

Anyway, all hooked up, functions great, looks OEM. Cost, $65 for switch, $25 for bulbs. I had clear lenses already on bike. See following posts for pics. 

Extra switches function as Suzuki intended. Yellow switch is headlight flasher and red switch is hazard lights. I did not go into switch housing, only cut wires at connector and switched connector for blackbird connector salvaged from Honda switch.

I strongly recommend getting rid of that big junction block and using crimp terminals, waterproof ones ideally.  If there's any wires that are twisted together, looks like there might be, I'd put them into crimp terminals as well.  Soldered wires are a bad idea unless they're well supported, movement/vibration can cause them to break.

I assume one could keep the Honda connector salvaged from the old switch, permanently attach the Suzuki wires to it, then add crimp terminals for any extra wires.  Since the DRL wire becomes an extra it could be used for the headlight flash so it sounds like the factory connector would have enough wires to do the job.

I like those switching LEDs, never heard of them.  BTW, there's no need to use clear lenses, all that does is allow the color change.  I'm not sure which color would be more likely to add visibility/grab attention to the bike.  If the clear is really bright it could cause blinding to others on the road like running with the high beam on.  Tho many like to do this to make them be more visible, this makes it harder to judge your speed & distance so it can me more dangerous.  Amber lenses should cut the brightness down some, whether good or bad.

Yes superhawk I agree, I don't want to blind others for the reasons you stated. Until it was all hooked up there was no way to know how bright it would be. My blackbird came with clear lenses, which I may replace with amber in the future to cut down the brightness.

By the way, the big terminal block was just temporary to test if I had wires hooked up correctly. All wires were then soldered near the connector end which is inside nosecone and well supported.

For some reason the Suzuki switch combined horn and clutch functions into 3 wires, so I added 2 extra wires to loom for clutch switch in order to insure this circuit was totally independent since it also connects to ECU.