CBR1100XX.org Forum

noise when starting 99 blackbird

poida

every now and then when i start my bike there is a squealing noise while it is cranking.the bike still starts fine and as soon as i release the starter button the noise goes away.do the starter motors squeal when they are on the way out or would it be the starter clutch? Im hoping starter motor 

4 OUTER COMP., STARTING CLUTCH 28125-MV9-672 1 1080.85

28125-MV9-672 CLUTCH OUTER, STARTING Retail: $200.47 Price: $150.35

Yes, I know where you are from but even with shipping from the US, it can't be that much.  Is the money exchange that much different?

Off hand, I would associate that noise with a failing bearing in the starter motor, ALTHOUGH I do notice there doesn't seem to be any "bearings" listed in the starter motor (then again, not all parts have associated part numbers on the diagram).  I'm surprised it's even a serviceable part...most places just make the whole thing and sell it as a unit.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/honda/2001/blackbird-_-cbr1100xx/starter-motor

I think starter.  Pull it and put a little oil on the bearings, assuming they're just plain bearings, and you'll know.  If it has ball bearings they should have numbers you can use to get replacements from any supplier if they're bad.

My bird makes noise when I start it to. Hard to describe...kinda like a chree-chree-chree-chree cha cha vrooommmmm wub wub wub wub wub

Been doing it since I bought it.

4 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

My bird makes noise when I start it to. Hard to describe...kinda like a chree-chree-chree-chree cha cha vrooommmmm wub wub wub wub wub

Been doing it since I bought it.

Mine used to do the same!

Then I put a LiFePo4 battery in it and it's more like ziiiing vroom wub wub wub.

cheers for the replies.i will pick up a starter motor off ebay and see how that goes.

28125-MV9-672 CLUTCH OUTER, STARTING Retail: $200.47 Price: $150.35

Yes, I know where you are from but even with shipping from the US, it can't be that much.  Is the money exchange that much different?

exchange rate isnt that bad 77 us cents to our $ at the moment.no idea where the aussie sites got their pricing from.
the bearing didnt appear to be made of jewel encrusted unobtainium.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:32 AM, poida said:

your a sick man birdslapper.  by the way,did cundalini ever get his hand back?

No. Last I heard Johnny the boy had it. He was cuffed to a leaf spring back at the wreck....nobody heard from him since. Or THE NIGHT RIDER for that matter.

• Upvote 1