CBR1100XX.org Forum

LED Cluster Lights?

Zero Knievel

I'm thinking of upgrading the cluster backlights so that I can see things better at night.  E-mailing a supplier, they said the OEM bulb looks like a Type 194 bulb.

Anyone else try this?  What's the original bulb output (lumens) that's I'm looking to top?  Google-fu seems to indicate 25 lumens as an average.

The ones I'm looking at are rated 90 lumens.  Pretty much all the others are so close to 25 that it wouldn't be much of an improvement.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/6774/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-w-socket-5-smd-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/841/7002/

I have color options...which might "tone down" it being overpowering.  IIRC, I replaced the bulbs before...they just don't put out that much light...which sucks if you want a good read of your instruments in the dark.

UV (Blacklight), Blue, Green, Amber, & Red in addition to three color temps for white.

Infrared :lol:

light color with matching lens gives the best performance, imagine picking a different color will help dim it down but seems counter intuitive to go down this path. 

Going from 25 to 90 lumens for a dash bulb just sounds extreme. Hence why i suggested trying to replace with oem bulb 

Slowridecx did an LED conversion I can't remember if he posted it here or on Facebook. Anyways, I bought the same LEDs off eBay from China for about $5, they look great and I'm happy with the results. I did buy twice as many as I needed because they're cheap, and as expected some were DOA. 

Well, pulled a bulb to size compare at WalMart.  They had the same size in LED for half the price.  Bought 4 and will see if I like them.  If they are too much, but brighter, I might just try ordering them in a color like RED and see how they work.  If I don't like them, I can return them with no hassle.

4 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

Or you could get a 01 and higher that came with LEDs in the cluster.

You sure?  Mine don't look like LEDs, but I guess a good LED set up like Honda would do won't be obvious.  Some LED swaps I've seen look kinda crappy.

The indicator lights are still OEM.  They are plenty bright (perhaps not during the day on the HB).  I see no reason to make them LED at this point.  They're also smaller bulbs than the ones used for backlighting.