CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Pump issue?

TFT

When I try to start Jackie's 2001 XX the fuel pump does not engage. When I hit the start button the engine cranks but does not start. I do not hear the fuel pump engage when I first turn on the ignition.

The PGM-FI light comes on as do all the other dash lights when I first turn on the ignition but then it turns back off, the only lights that remain illuminated are the oil light and the neutral light.

In the service manual there are a number of scenarios all tied to how many times the PGM-FI light blinks. As I stated earlier, the light comes on when the key is turned on, as do all other dash lights and then it goes off, as do many of the other dash lights. 

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Start with checking the fuse to ensure its good and clear of any possible crustiness. 

Then check fuel relay. If all things are really quiet turn key to on position and click the on/off switch to "on" and should hear a small click sound as the coil in the relay is given power. 

Report back what you find. 

Would check to make sure you are sending power from that relay to the fuel pump itself. Just because its clicking doesnt mean the power is being sent out. (Just went through this headache on a fan relay a couple weeks ago) can swap the relays around from fan to fuel pump really quick to rule out relay. 

If you are getting power sent to the pump, check the pump ground connections and see if that helps. 

My Next step would be to unplug battery from bike, unplug fuel pump connector and jump it with the battery directly to see if it even comes to life. 

If it does you know it works, 

Also gives time for ecu to clear itself before connecting battery back up and see it that helped as well.. 

Direct power the fuel pump.  If it's not powering up, there you go.  Been there, done that.  Buy a used unit on ebay or a replacement fuel pump itself (not the entire module like Honda tries to sell you.)  Also replace the fuel filter while you have it apart.

Kill switch?

ive forgotten it before.

plus, if you have to go into the pump, I would change the filter.

The filter seems to have resolved the intermittent stumble issue that I had. Five tanks and counting with no more issues.

Two types of filters shown for the Redbird. One with a metal curved pipe on one end,(50 bucks). And one with a straight end with the curved part that attaches to the filter.  Straight filter has almost perfect replacements at Most auto parts stores.  Guess which one I had. 😡

And for the dumb asses in the crowd, don't blow into the old curved filter to test it.  Please don't ask me how I know😰

But a good one has almost no resistance.

Edited by redxxrdr

4 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

And for the dumb asses in the crowd, don't blow into the old curved filter to test it.  Please don't ask me how I know😰

I've blown through many fuel filters to asses restriction; what happened?

I've got power to the fuel pump connector so it looks like its the pump. 

Thank you all for your responses and thank you Joe for your guidance on this. You sure made it simple for me. 

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've blown through many fuel filters to asses restriction; what happened?

When you are very, very, so very tired and blow into a filter with a 180 degree loop on the end. 😔 You get a face full of fuel 😝

Edited by redxxrdr

Tom,

Do you have the pump out?

Here is a picture of the pump, with a cheap straight filter behind it.

I freed a stuck gsxr pump by spraying B laster into it and using jumper wires to forward and reverse the motor. Gsxr is a little different because the pressure regulator mounts directly to the pump, INSIDE the tank.

I would pull that fuel line from pump to filter and add b laster to the pump. Let sit, the forward and reverse the polarity with jumpers. It may just be sludged up and need a good cleaning.IMG_1602.JPG.4092b67c6aa93cfa317f671cc9fdb5af.JPG

4 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

When you are very, very, so very tired and blow into a filter with a 180 degree loop on the end. 😔 You get a face full of fuel 😝

Hahahahaha.

I bought an SV650s with a rusty and seized pump.  Tore into it and freed it up and it worked great.  Fixed a few other things, prettied it up, rode it for a while, then flipped it for 3 or 4X what I paid.  The pump on my JX650LJ, Seca turbo, was seized when I got it and a replacement was $700.  Cut the can open, fixed it, and resealed it.  A little bit of a battle, but not a $700 battle.

• Upvote 1

I just took the pump assembly out and this is what I see in the bottom. What is all what appears to be twisted wire coil in the bottom?

As you can see there is a lot of corrosion/crap in the housing.

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

It's normal.  It's kinda like a pre-filter for the sock.  Any big things floating in the tank get caught in that rough Brillo looking stuff and don't stop the sock itself.  You pull all that shit out and it will not all go back in. 

The corrosion is not.  Looks like Obama gas and long term parking with low fuel levels.  Just went through that with one of my birds that sat for a year.  Walls of the tank probably have that same grimy/rusty look to them as well I would bet.

What is the best way to clean that stuff off those components? Any particular chemical I should use?

Is there a way to clean the inside of the tank? 

We always try to use Chevron 91 octane in our bikes. 

I use green scotchbrite pads and wd40 at work to remove surface rust.

If that were mine, I would try to eBay a replacement pump assembly.  I got a clean 2002 assembly last year for around $200.00.  

Get a flashlight and inspection mirror and check your tank.  The pump assembly is the lowest thing there. Hopefully you got lucky, and the water and damage is only in the pump assembly.

I thought that the tanks were plastic coated inside. Like tank sealers used to restore old fuel tanks.  Because of this, I would leave any mild surface rust and run with it.  Fuel doesn't cause rust, water trapped in corn squeezins does.

I would prefer having most of the protective liner, and surface rust, instead of a tank with no liner at all.

post pictures of the tank and good luck

I pulled one of mine apart and about 1/3 of that squiggly material ended up in the garbage.  Just simply couldn't get it all shoved back in there.  I honestly don't know of any way to clean it, as you can tell, whatever is trapped in there is trapped in there pretty much permanently.  I'm genuinely surprised the pump has that much junk on it and the tank is that clean.  Mine looked like somebody had done a horrendous paint job with brown fleckstone.  There is no liner, it's all metal.  I had to go through mine with either 600 or 1000 grit (can't remember) and wiped everything I could get to with an old t-shirt.  Blew compressed air through it a few times and kept wiping out junk until it was close enough for government work, then washed it with some fuel just to make sure.  New pump, works fine.  Now I only run E-free fuel like I do in my lawn equipment.

Tim thank you very much for the offer.

I spent about an hour cleaning all the components of the pump assembly and it cleaned up quite well.

I checked to make sure the pump worked and then reassembled everything. 

I had previously emptied all the gas from the tank so I put fresh fuel in it and it fired right up, coughed and sputtered a bit at first and now its running smooth.

Thanks for all the guidance and advice.

Another couple of hour project that I turned into a 3 days worth of work. :)