CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ultimate XX build.

racer212

I've been giving a lot of thought to my bikes. When my employment situation settles back down (soon I hope) I'm either going to purchase a new bike, or make a huge investment in upgrading the XX. I have some thoughts on a new bike - but for the sake of this thread, what would you do if you had something like a $15k upgrade budget for my 2000 XX? 

This all supposes I cant buy a certain red XX in Florida :)

Only rules are - must remain street-able and usable for sport-touring. Emphasis on the sport. Lets not talk about luggage - I've got most all of that already. Any mod suggested should be realistically available.

What's the best suspension/brake/wheel mods? Big bore engine? Fuel inection mods? Weight saving mods? Badass tail tidy mods? What is really out there and has been/can be done.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Search XRdracer (Howie). His XX was by far the trickest, most expensively modded that I've ever seen. Best example of a no holds barred, money no object everything top of the line XX you'll find, lots of ideas to be had there.

He sold it, I think Stan might be the one who bought it.

Me personally, I'd spend a lot on brakes, suspension and weight reduction. Don't know that I could get to 15k without going with a full Ohlins front end w/custom triples,  Brembos, etc. Motor is good enough without internal mods, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Not exactly a new bike, but perhaps an alternative to consider:

Call FredX and buy the turbo BB I sold him...you'll still have money left over.

Full details/pics from when I built the bike available but full Penske suspension (frt & rear) set up on suspension dyno, Carrazzeria wheels, everything powder coated, LSL bar kit and one of 2 custom turbo kits by Mark Moisan with high and low boost. Completely reliable and spotless when sold...most of the guys here know the bike.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Redbird said:

Search XRdracer (Howie). His XX was by far the trickest, most expensively modded that I've ever seen. Best example of a no holds barred, money no object everything top of the line XX you'll find, lots of ideas to be had there.

He sold it, I think Stan might be the one who bought it.

Me personally, I'd spend a lot on brakes, suspension and weight reduction. Don't know that I could get to 15k without going with a full Ohlins front end w/custom triples,  Brembos, etc. Motor is good enough without internal mods, IMO. 

Yeah, I believe this is the red one I was referring to. I saw it when it went up for sale and always wished I'd bought it. I'm thinking of building something like this - in blue.

There was a guy here at one time that had one with a whole lot of other bike sourced parts.  I can't remember what all it had but it looked nothing like a bird when it was done.  I actually bought the rear subframe from it and used it on one of my bikes.  I believe it was more streetfighter than bird when it got done, but it was evil looking.

Gotta say, though, for 15k I'd be looking at a S1000RR or something else new with more power and less weight.  I don't have 15k in all three birds, including the price of the bikes and all the mods.  Hell, could probably even throw in tire replacements and still not hit that.

Helps to know...

1.  What mods already are on the bike?

2.  What do you REALLY plan to use the bike for?

For "sport" touring, you don't need to add much.  I went to braided clutch and brake lines.  If you do this, go for longer lengths to the master cylinders than is OEM...in case you want to change clip ons.  It's a very tight fit otherwise.  I suppose you could tweak your front suspension (different springs for optimal performance when loaded) or just new adjustable front forks.  Likewise for rear shock (in addition the the shim mod).  There's also farkles to make long rides more enjoyable...like a workable cruise control (RXX has one that may still be available online somewhere).

Didn't CBRBear spend about that much on his white bird? Sadly he ended up parting it out. 

Do the routine maintenance on your existing XX spend the rest on Gas Beer & Bullets or buy a trailer. 

If not then:

Get a riding buddy and

Suspension, Rear Ohlins protect it with a hugger. if you want to go unique I hear a '93 VFR single sided swing-arm is practically bolt on. 

Front some racetech gold valve emulators up front with some springs (not progressive), I like the looks of the carbon fiber fender, but it doesn't fit as well as Oem.                           Or go full retard and put on a hyabusa or ohlins front end. 

Brakes. If you don't  change the whole front end, delink or beg Graham to fab you up a set of brembo adapters for the oem forks. 

Bars, I never liked my LSL bars, I ended up getting a set of VFR clipons. Heated grips and grip puppies. Throttlemeister bar ends. 

Cruise control: I've seen the fully electric (electronic?) one on a bird looks like a hassle to install but it would be OH SO NICE to have, it uses the entire clutch MC from a goldwing for the controls. 

Seat: I love my Russel, but it looks like a goldwing seat on a bird, but it's sofa fucking comfortable I don't care. I've never found a corbin that I liked.*

* With the custom seat I no longer needed to lower the pegs, as it was made to my size.  

I hesitate to say a pro-oiler, because I bought one looked at it and said fuck it, it's easier to just lube the chain daily than try and find space for all the hardware. 

Electrical: USB port(s) or some way to charge your phone and Sena, if not for calls then for music/ gps. Also a 12v outlet for an air pump. 

Engine mods, I'd get a power commander and an exhaust, I like my staintune splions, but if I had the cash I'd keep them but change the headers to a delkevic 4 into 2

I have no experience with engine mods so I won't comment about big bore or turbo (just drool). 

Not in the luggage dept, but SW mototeck mounts for your luggage, so when you get where you're going it all comes off easily, no ugly wing rack hanging off the back. 

HID headlights or convert the entire headlight to HID projectors. I'm still looking for some kind of auxiliary lighting up front. A  flashing brake light. I use a whelen tir 3 mounted where the reflector was, and it irritates the fuck out of anyone following me, so mission accomplished. Upgrade the dash bulbs to led, it makes a world of difference. 

Givi or MRA windscreen with a lip. 

Best weight saving mod, get a treadmill, I'll sell you mine, hardly used. 

Don't go with any wild paint scheme, it makes you more noticeable to law enforcement, then again, they mistook me for Aunt-Zero in Va. and gave me his speeding ticket on a plain ass black bird. 

1 hour ago, racer212 said:

Yeah, I believe this is the red one I was referring to. I saw it when it went up for sale and always wished I'd bought it. I'm thinking of building something like this - in blue.

Yep, that's the one. When you said FL I thought maybe you were talking about John's. His '01 is definitely nicely done, but not on the level of Howie's, who is in CA. IIRC He had an in at TSR and maybe another Japanese aftermarket manufacturer. A lot of what's on that bike was hard if not impossible to find back then, never mind now. I'd also guess there was way more than 15k into it.

You best bet would probably be to find that bike, buy it, then paint it blue. Anything else will be second best. :P

1 hour ago, Aunt Zero said:

Helps to know...

1.  What mods already are on the bike?

2.  What do you REALLY plan to use the bike for?

For "sport" touring, you don't need to add much.  I went to braided clutch and brake lines.  If you do this, go for longer lengths to the master cylinders than is OEM...in case you want to change clip ons.  It's a very tight fit otherwise.  I suppose you could tweak your front suspension (different springs for optimal performance when loaded) or just new adjustable front forks.  Likewise for rear shock (in addition the the shim mod).  There's also farkles to make long rides more enjoyable...like a workable cruise control (RXX has one that may still be available online somewhere).

I think you may have missed the point. Its not about what I need - it's about what would the ultimate build be?

My current XX is Josh's old Blue one. It has a TBR exhaust of some flavor, VFR bars and Buell pegs. Aftermarket wheels for bling not performance - RComponents I believe. 40k miles. HID lights cut they are cheap and clunky - maybe need redone.

Suspension would be my first direction - either a swap to ZX or some other front end, maybe a full Ohlins swap over if it can be found, and for sure a shock out back. Aftermarket wheels for weight would be great - not carbon fiber though, too much hassel. Marvic's or something maybe. 

Engine, maybe 2mm bore, Falicon knife-edge crank. Back-cut the gears and freshen everything up. See if the head can be flowed better and 5-angle the valves. Cams? I still want very linear streetable power.. I've got an Akrapovic full-Ti that has been following me around uninstalled. Sort of programmer to dial it all in..

1 minute ago, racer212 said:

I think you may have missed the point. Its not about what I need - it's about what would the ultimate build be?

ULTIMATE (to me) is fitting the bike with an experimental AI and fitting a neodymium skin underlay matrix built of nano-meshed rare earth magnets so you can't scuff the bike in a lowside. B)

5 hours ago, racer212 said:

Suspension would be my first direction - either a swap to ZX or some other front end

I think Ice Pick did this, might contact him.

5 hours ago, racer212 said:

Engine, maybe 2mm bore, Falicon knife-edge crank. Back-cut the gears and freshen everything up. See if the head can be flowed better and 5-angle the valves. Cams?

Northman had a big bore motor.  Maybe someone on here can give you his contact info to find out what he would recommend.

7 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I think Ice Pick did this, might contact him.

Northman had a big bore motor.  Maybe someone on here can give you his contact info to find out what he would recommend.

Rode ice picks bike for about an hour heading home from NeXXt. 

That bike is nicely set up

Suspension is great, brakes are great. Throw in his DM bars and whatever seat he has and you have a mile munching machine. 

5 hours ago, Aunt Zero said:

ULTIMATE (to me) is fitting the bike with an experimental AI and fitting a neodymium skin underlay matrix built of nano-meshed rare earth magnets so you can't scuff the bike in a lowside. B)

See also realistic.

For me.

cruise is nice. 

The audiovox replacement is now electronic.

lighter wheels, the brand that Tim and John have/had on the red birds were nice, but I remember some teething problems.

A higher wattage stator, with a automobile/ wing style regulator. ( design it and you could sell bunches of them).

A well sorted out hid low beam like Eric did and a high end led high beam.

Heated grips and power ports to take advantage of the new charging circuit.

Modern design led taillight with pulse module. I like my rear to be seen.

ThAt 4-2-1 exhaust with a mild tune turbo. I like quiet, and power.

Suspension and brakes done by a knowledgeable vendor. This would really be high on my list.

Get someone to build EXACT fairing molds to make some real carbon fiber replacements.

Lighter and stronger than OEM.  Again, sell copies to the rest of us.

VFR bars.

Spares..... fuel pump, filter, gauge sender, ECU, coils.  Good parts are getting harder to find.

$5k gas card. Goal to empty it in a year.

If you have the funds and time to source the parts to do a full ZXX swap/conversion out front and back I would say yes. 

Gaining better suspension and braking ability really makes the XX keep up with the modern times. Her lines are timeless but her technology is 20yrs old