CBR1100XX.org Forum

Redoing the Kitchen --- a little

rockmeupto125

My Jenn-Air countertop stove decided it had better things to do than heat things up, so its now languishing in a scrap pile.

This is a bit of a project, because its being replaced with a traditional gas range/oven.  Cut the counter, looks nice but still have to plumb the gas line and take care of a bit of rewiring.  Luckily, there's also a small glass countertop that is usually reserved for keeping things warm rather than primary cooking, so I don't have to use the microwave for my bacon (sacrilege!).

So, in conjunction with the stove replacement, I plan to put up a backsplash and finally do something to protect the excellent condition of my 1970's era wood cabinetry.  To shield the cabinets from steam, smoke, and grease spatter, two approaches were planned.  One, cover the bottom of the cabinets with light sheet metal, and two, install a through the wall exhaust fan. Along with this, I'd like to put some slimline LED lights so what's cooking isn't a mystery.  

There's less than standard clearance between countertop and cabinets, as it hurts my back leaning over to use the counter, and short people have to reach the cabinets. Anything I do in that space has to be respectful of the decreased clearance and take up minimal space.

So my reason for posting is to ask the community brain the following:

*Any better material than sheet metal for a shield?

*Secure the sheet metal with nails or screws?  Nails will be flush, screws are easier but will stick out a wee bit.  I can't imagine using sheet metal thick enough to effectively countersink. 

*Recommendations for a strong fan?  I'd prefer to use a fan in the ducting in order to decrease the sound level in the kitchen.

*and finally, recommendations for lighting?  I expect LED is the best choice from a size standpoint, and it needs to be bright as well as moisture and heat resistant. I'll have to physically fasten it in place as well, a sticky back is not going to last long over a stove.

Thanks in advance.

My limited input- sheet metal will work, but I'd definitely go stainless on that. Given that it sounds like you intend to use a fairly light gauge, some sort of construction adhesive might be worth looking into rather than poking a bunch of holes in it.

• Upvote 1

Question:  How limited of a clearance are we talking?  What kind of spatter is going to make it to the upper cabinets?  If it's going that high, it's going in your eye (easy joke.)  A proper CFM exhaust fan, as long as you actually use it, should mitigate any steam.  Any reason you're going through the wall instead of out the ceiling?  Perhaps you could go with a recirculating style that vents back into the kitchen and typically uses charcoal filters to eliminate odor and control the airflow?  If you want to go big boy, you get one that mounts at the back of the stove and actually ducts it out the wall, then no steam, smoke, or anything is traveling upwards at all.  It's a downdraft style, but cha-ching since it has to pull such a high volume of air to accomplish the redirection.

Its 18.5 inches countertop to cabinet.

The Jenn-Air had a downdraft fan which worked quite well, but you couldn't hear yourself think when it was on.

The wall over the stove is covered with cabinets, and its a cathedral ceiling, so to speak.  I cannot duct to the ceiling without much more redneckery than I will stoop to. The wall is the only way out.

Spatter?  You haven't seen me cook.

If you install an exhaust hood you won't need to cover the cabinets, but if you are going to stainless would be better than regular sheet metal.  Or maybe copper for the cool look if the color works better.  The sticky stuff that LED strips come with varies in quality, 3M VHB will hold.  VHB should also work for the sheet metal eliminating the hardware issues.

54 minutes ago, Redbird said:

My limited input- sheet metal will work, but I'd definitely go stainless on that. Given that it sounds like you intend to use a fairly light gauge, some sort of construction adhesive might be worth looking into rather than poking a bunch of holes in it.

I'd still be leery of construction adhesive with the heat.  It's got to be heavy enough to support the lights steadily.  I don't want to see the shadows moving when I walk across the floor.

1 hour ago, Redbird said:

Or at least use a screw and "washer" combo that looks decorative and "designed."  I wish I had a pic to illustrate what I'm thinking, but maybe others know what I mean.  You'd, of course, probably have to use more screws than needed to create the illusion that it was intended to look that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you have worked with stainless or not,  but it is a pain in the ass to cut.  Do you want hemmed edges?  If so get accurate measurements and have a local sheet metal shop bend it up for you.  

Take a pic..I really can't imagine what you are doing here.  I'd like to give some advice..

For backsplash..why not tile?  Stainless is always an option.  Pretty cheap if you can hook up a local fabricator.

Edited by TuffguyF4i