CBR1100XX.org Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Redbird

An alternative to squats that doesn't involve buying a leg press?

Redbird    1,421
On 1/17/2017 at 10:12 AM, Redbird said:

Lunges are already in the rotation.

TFT    483

Sorry, I missed the Lunges comment.

Another good workout is Bosu-Ball squats.  Though I work out in a gym I bought a Bosu-Ball for additional home workouts.

The exercise not only works the legs but it strengthens the core and the back. I finish my leg workouts with 4-5 sets. By then your body is so fatigued you don't need anything more than your own body weight.

In this study, researchers recommended an unstable surface, such as the BOSU ball for rehabilitation of lower back pain conditions. This no-load balance training improves the strength and conditioning of your lower back muscles, important in your ability to perform everyday movements. 

These exercises may also help you prevent lower back pain by improving strength and balance even if you have not suffered an injury.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/09/30/bosu-ball-squats.aspx

RichardCranium    733
On 5/27/2017 at 7:57 AM, TFT said:

Sorry, I missed the Lunges comment.

Another good workout is Bosu-Ball squats.  Though I work out in a gym I bought a Bosu-Ball for additional home workouts.

The exercise not only works the legs but it strengthens the core and the back. I finish my leg workouts with 4-5 sets. By then your body is so fatigued you don't need anything more than your own body weight.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/09/30/bosu-ball-squats.aspx

IMO bosu ball squats are sub optimal at best.

Doing regular squats or pretty much any exercise where you are lifting heavy weights will strengthen your back and core.

Adding the ball just makes it nearly impossible to lift to your potential and probably adds an extra probability of injury if you do try to do it heavy.

Just my opinion though.

• Upvote 1