CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel mileage

bar10dah

I have done 215-220 before my last bar started to flash..

I normally find a gas station before this happens but when I don't I can only fit 5.3 to 5.5 gallons back in the tank... So I would be good for another 30 miles before I get too nervous

Dave

You're riding too slow.

Dude, you're so gonna leave me behind on the way to Cody... :shock:

It's about 200 miles from my place, to Tortilla Flat, and back. I filled up right before getting on the 101, took 10 to get there, rode up to the end of the pavement, came back down, and took the east 101 (with a brief stop at Cycle Gear) back home, and filled up at the same station off my exit of 101.

I had to stop at Cycle Gear because my throttle lock came apart! I noticed it after I stopped for lunch. Somewhere out at Tortilla Flat is a locking mechanism for the NEP cruise control. It fit so well without using the metal adjuster, that I didn't tighten it down at all. Little did I know, if it's not tightened down, there's nothing holding it on!

Oh yeah, and speaking of riding too slow! Yesterday, I hit an indicated 190mph!! Whoa! And the bike was still pulling! I just got scared and backed off. The broken white lane dividers were starting to look like one long white line!

I second that one! My light comes on around 150. What gear

do you guys freeway ride with? I never seem to make it

out of 4th unless I really wanna ;-)

:cool: TJ :cool:

191 miles until the fuel light came on

You're riding too slow.

I've seen 220 before the light (well, the flashing bar on mine) came on. Two up, fully loaded saddlebags and tankbag, averaging 72mph on my way back from NeXXt last year. My rear tire was shot, so I was taking it easy.

I've noticed my milage goes to down real fast once I break 80mph.

TJ, I alway use 6th for highway droning. Seems silly not to, to me anyway. Hell I suppose I could use second........ :razz:

I usually average in the lower thirties, in case that was the question, get about 150-160 miles before the "warning"

Ahh, that's my prob.. I never drop below 80 on the freeway..

TJ, I alway use 6th for highway droning. Seems silly not to, to me anyway. Hell I suppose I could use second........ :razz:

Heck, I never let my cruising RPM drop below 5K-5.5K. Lets

just say I like to be near the meat of the powerband ;-).

This usually means 4th gear, 'cause 5th is 90MPH and

6th is 100! I like that "sweet spot" I get at 80-85MPH in

4th gear..

I usually average in the lower thirties, in case

that was the question, get about 150-160 miles before the "warning"

Must just be my preference to keep the motor in the heart

of the RPM range, as I get crappy gas mileage out of the

1000F too.. (same riding style, around 5K RPM in 5th leads

to 80-85mph)

Dude, you're so gonna leave me behind on the way to Cody...

Nah, it'll work out. That road is hard to ride fast, so unless I get my special mojo going and decide to power-slide around every corner, I'll be taking it slower. I've only found that special mojo twice on that road. Last time it killed a tire in 1200 miles, so I try not to find it much any more... You're gonna love the road though. I've got wood thinking about it.

What gear do you guys freeway ride with?

Unless I'm accelerating, I get to sixth quickly. I use it in town (of course, I'm usually doing 50-55 in town). On the highway, I usually go 80-95 in sixth.

Most of the time I get to about 180 miles indicated before the light comes on; subtract 8% for my sprocket change. I do tend to ride slightly aggressively.

Here's one for ya. I'm looking at my receipt right now and it says 5.91 gallons (on 159.4 mi = 26.94 mpg.). The kicker is I ran out of gas and coasted the last half mile. I thought this thing had 6.3 gal. cap.?

'02

5800 mi.

Unless I'm accelerating, I get to sixth quickly. I use it in town (of course, I'm usually doing 50-55 in town). On the highway, I usually go 80-95 in sixth.

Yep, that's why I'm getting worse gas mileage than everyone

else. 80-95 in sixth eh? Hmmmm, guess I'll just have to deal

with 30 MPG, 'cause I like staying in the powerband too much

in 4th ;-)

I'll have to try running in 6th when I head to the hill country

(long run) though to see what my peak mileage will be..

I never seem to make it out of 4th unless I really wanna ;-)

When I am riding on the freeway, or on straight stretches of hiway, I go to 6th gear. That's why I own a torque monster like the BlackBird. If I wanted to keep it buzzed all the time, I would ride a 600.

kickstand or centerstand when refueling?

Here's one for ya. I'm looking at my receipt right now and it says 5.91 gallons (on 159.4 mi = 26.94 mpg.). The kicker is I ran out of gas and coasted the last half mile. I thought this thing had 6.3 gal. cap.?

'02

5800 mi.

Ahh, that's my prob.. I never drop below 80 on the freeway..

Heck, I never let my cruising RPM drop below 5K-5.5K. Lets

just say I like to be near the meat of the powerband ;-).

This usually means 4th gear, 'cause 5th is 90MPH and

6th is 100! I like that "sweet spot" I get at 80-85MPH in

4th gear..

Must just be my preference to keep the motor in the heart

of the RPM range, as I get crappy gas mileage out of the

1000F too.. (same riding style, around 5K RPM in 5th leads

to 80-85mph)

isn't this kind of hard on any motor????

any motor even a honda is still subject to wear and tear speeding up the process doesnt help, i certainly wouldn't want to buy that bike knowing his riding habits, after all when pro riders put their bikes through that kind of wear the motor is torn apart and gone completely through.

There's not a direct correlation like that.

HP = force * speed

If you increase the speed of the motor, you reduce the force it is producing to achieve the same HP.

So...the question would be: which produces more wear; speed or force? I tend toward speed slightly in my opinion, but not by much. Especially not in a motor with the composite cylinder liners we have. I know he's not doing any "damage" to it, and if there is any wear acceleration it would be slight.

i agree that the cylinder walls might not see the same wear as say cam & crank bearings, riding my bird at freeway speed in 4th or 5th gear at 6,000 to 7,000 rpms makes me feel like i am unecessarily putting stress on it.