CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel mileage

bar10dah

47,800 miles. I've been traveling constantly for the last couple years, so I have an excuse for the low miles.

There is one guy in Europe with over 100k and no repairs, and many in the 70+ range.

WOW! maybe i am dating myself but i can remember a time when a bike with more than 15,000 mi was considered well on its way out. its nice to here that the bird will stand the heat, maybe i'll start riding at 1,000 rpm over my limit. :grin: :grin: :):)

Hmm, I don't see how riding anywhere near 6,000 RPM is

hard on the motor. It's near the middle of the rev range for

a bike that redlines at 10,800. Riding the bike below 4K

RPM, to me, is practically bogging it --> which IS tough

on the motor.

Plus it's not super safe to do that on the freeway, as you're

sorta out of the powerband and can't exercise "getaways"

in freeway traffic when needed. I tend to wanna keep

my bike in a nice "punchy" RPM when I'm riding, but

that's just me ;-)

Heck, the bike doesn't even feeling like it's cruising until

5K ;-)

:cool: TJ :cool:

i agree that the cylinder walls might not see the same wear as say cam & crank bearings, riding my bird at freeway speed in 4th or 5th gear at 6,000 to 7,000 rpms makes me feel like i am unecessarily putting stress on it.

The last 4 tanks, since the power commander my flasher came on at 125 - 127 miles. Before the commander, it would flash around 150 - 175ish.

Sorta sucks. But i've been running the gears longer and not shifting as much running the back roads. See what the Avons do to ya'.

maybe somethings wrong with my hearing but when i get the bird over say 6,000 rpm it sounds like i'm winding it out a little, maybe i'm just not used to the performance side of this bike, the other bikes i've owned seemed to have a lower key sound to them. :shock:

Will,

I think there's something seriously wrong with your bike... I can help by taking it for scrap value. $500 sound about right? :grin:

If you're not taking it over 6K, that's cruel and inhumane punishment on the engine. Try it a couple times, you'll love it. _Most_ of my city riding is between 4000 - 7500 rpms, and I only try to conserve engine wear on the long haul on the expwy. 'Course, lately I noticed she's a bit thirsty... :razz:

Depends on what your roots are. If you're coming off a

600cc sportbike (like me for example) 6K RPM is nothing.

It was very typical to cruise on the freeway at 7.5K on

the CBR 600F3.

Perhaps that's why I keep the bird around 5.5K. It

just feels really punchy there and seems to be quite

a comfortable cruising speed for the motor..

:cool: TJ :cool:

maybe somethings wrong with my hearing but when i get the bird over say 6,000 rpm it sounds like i'm winding it out a little, maybe i'm just not used to the performance side of this bike, the other bikes i've owned seemed to have a lower key sound to them. :shock:

I'm enjoying this thread, I thought the way I rode was, well, normal. Now I don't know.

Unless I'm running the corners hard or trying to make time, I'm in 6th gear if I'm doing 40mph or more. This bike has more low end power than anything I've ever ridden. :grin:

To ride down the highway in 4th to stay in the powerband seems strange to me unless your are talking rush hour and not doing normal highway speed.

Here is a test for y'all... My bike will slow down to 1000 rpm in top gear, stock gearing, and pick right back up when you roll it on. This is on level ground or even on a slight up hill. Sometimes I get lazy and ride it like a big moped and leave it in 6th. I have even made regular right turns into side streets (at high speed) in 6th gear.

Perfect carb. sync. and tunning has a lot to do with it.

well took all of your advice and went out and got on it a lot more esp. on the freeway, the bike handled everything i threw at it and then some, got the rpms up 10,500 at some points, my only worry is if driving like this has any long or short term affects, i really love this bike and want to keep it for a long while... :-o

I thought maybe you guys were kidding about the mileage your getting until I saw so many posts of guys getting a lot of mpg. I have put 12,000 miles on my 2001 in 15 months and have never got more than 150 before the light starts blinking. Most of the time 130-140. I just chalked it up to big engine... big thurst, plus I just gotta give it a twist or two each time I ride. I ride half freeway and half street most of the time.

Freeway 5th or 6th at 70-90 mph.... I like to keep the revs up when traffic gets heavy or I am coming up to an interchange. By up I mean 6-9K.

Trent

Hey Will, no offense, but you will find out what the rev limiter feels like when when I take you to Mesa Grande. :shock: This bike is designed and built to get up and go fast as fuck for a long time! Ring the shit out of her :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hey Trent, where are you located? I'm in N. San Diego County.

you will find out what the rev limiter feels like

Yeah, I've bounced off the rev limiter on numerous occasions. Bike felt so smooth over 10K that I didn't even realize I was that close to the redline!

Hey Will' date=' no offense,[/quote']

none taken, just i'm not used to really agressive style of riding, it's not like my previous bikes werent capable just trying to stay in one piece and keep the bike from sliding across the asphalt, lotta bad drivers out there!!!!

• 1 year later...

gday fellas

sorry to dig up an old thread but i was searching for fitting instructions, maybe with pics, for the NEP cruise control, which needs to be modified to fit the bird as far as i can tell , anyway, as for fuel usage, here in oz we are in k/ph not miles so im not sure what the conversion rate is but i can get 300 kilometres before the last fuel bar starts flashing, thats on a ride day, going to work and home during the week, i get about 260 km`s

• 11 years later...
On April 28, 2003 at 6:18 PM, bar10dah said:

It's about 200 miles from my place, to Tortilla Flat, and back.

What's so special about Tortilla Flat?

20 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Most tortillas are flat so I dunno.

Says the guy who has never been tiny.

2 hours ago, RXX said:

Says the guy who has never been tiny.

Hmmm, I must be missing something.  My body isn't tiny, thin, but not tiny.  If that's an appendage reference; it' YUGE! 

3 hours ago, XXitanium said:

What did you get for milage, and please answer you own question. 

;)

I didn't check, but I filled in Apache Junction, went thru Globe and back to Tucson and I still have fuel. The GS gets 45 - 55 depending.

Tortilla Flat, The bar, the food, driving thru a creek to get out of town, the canadian tourists not so much. The bar just to see.