CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gear Brake Wiring Question

NewBird

I received a Gearbrake unit as a gift. The company has not produced one for the blackbird but has produced them for the CBR1000.  The unit they sent was for a 2003 CBR1000.  

The question is do the 2003 CBR1000 and the 2002 CBR1200xx share the identical brake light wiring harness?  If so then the unit provided should plug and play.  If not I'll have to return this unit,  along with pictures of the existing wiring,  so that a model specific unit can be produced. 

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. 

God Bless Honda and there consistency with Electrics, since 1966 I have owned and operated over 40 Hondas the first being a 1966 CL77 (305 Scrambler)

my last one a 01 CBR1100 Blackbird, Weather you are working on a 1976 Civic, 66 CL 77, or 2016 Accord that yellow wire with the red stripe goes to the Neutral Switch.

Black is always ground. The Color coding is almost always the same. Honda has always tried to make there Schematics, and electrical connectors uniform and easy

to understand and user friendly, its part of what makes them Famous for Reliability. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 02 SilverBird said:

What is a Gear Brake Unit??

I had the same reaction so I used my special powers and put gearbrake into my search bar.  It detects any time you're slowing down without using the brakes and lights the brake light for you.

When coming to a stop in traffic I tap the front brake lever a couple times before I need the brakes to help draw attention.  I see this device as gimicky, but whatever floats one's boat.

18 hours ago, NewBird said:

I received a Gearbrake unit as a gift. The company has not produced one for the blackbird but has produced them for the CBR1000.  The unit they sent was for a 2003 CBR1000.  

The question is do the 2003 CBR1000 and the 2002 CBR1200xx share the identical brake light wiring harness?  If so then the unit provided should plug and play.  If not I'll have to return this unit,  along with pictures of the existing wiring,  so that a model specific unit can be produced. 

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. 

Lift the seat & take a look.  Since they make it for the 1000 and not the bird I assume they're different unless the company just doesn't know that the plugs are the same.  The chance that they'll produce a one-off unit for you without additional costs seems very unlikely, but worth a call.  You could cut the plugs off and wire it up yourself, or have it done if you're not knowledgeable on crimping wire connections.  I assume the company would provide you a wiring diagram so you know which wire on the unit goes to what.

I got curious so I looked, they do offer one for your '02 XX so apparently Santa isn't good at the internet.  Call or email them & ask if it's the same or if you can exchange it.

Funny that '04 is the latest year XX they offer one for, either the bikes changed or they just don't know to list it for later years.

God Bless Honda and there consistency with Electrics, since 1966 I have owned and operated over 40 Hondas the first being a 1966 CL77 (305 Scrambler)

my last one a 01 CBR1100 Blackbird, Weather you are working on a 1976 Civic, 66 CL 77, or 2016 Accord that yellow wire with the red stripe goes to the Neutral Switch.

Black is always ground. The Color coding is almost always the same. Honda has always tried to make there Schematics, and electrical connectors uniform and easy

to understand and user friendly, its part of what makes them Famous for Reliability. 

1 hour ago, Aunt Zero said:

Does it really matter?  You need what?  The hot wire feeding the bulb and the ground wire, yes?  Should be easy to determine.

I assume ground, tail, and brake wires in & out of the correct wires on the unit and it has 4 wires.

Edited by superhawk996

Knowledge is Power, you cannot be to safe, How many times have the police responded to Auto / Bike collisions.

where the  first thing the drivers  have said " I didn't see Him " This device could have made a difference.

Bike cops have been hit while running all their lights by people who couldn't see them too.

If this thing works properly it could help reduce the chance of being rear ended.  I think a flashing brake light would do much more than just a brake light that turns on earlier, they sell both types.  I wouldn't bother installing the early on unit even if it were free, the light flasher maybe.  Being that the bird has two brake lights I might wire one to the flasher and the other one normal.

They sent me a unit for a CBR1000.  They claim to not have a plug and play for my xx.  I'll see if it will install or not tomorrow. 

Ive had a couple close calls while stopped at lights.  I figure it can't hurt and it might grab the attention of a distracted driver. 

I just removed all the brake light hardware entirely. Big weight savings. Since I don't stop for red lights or stop signs no need to worry about being rear ended. It don't cost nothin.

You're welcome.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I just removed all the brake light hardware entirely. Big weight savings. Since I don't stop for red lights or stop signs no need to worry about being rear ended. It don't cost nothin.

You're welcome.

Don't forget to remove the exhaust. About 49 lbs , or 7 hp savings.

And every Harley rider will tell you, loud ( and no ) pipes save lives.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NewBird said:

They sent me a unit for a CBR1000.  They claim to not have a plug and play for my xx.  I'll see if it will install or not tomorrow. 

Ive had a couple close calls while stopped at lights.  I figure it can't hurt and it might grab the attention of a distracted driver. 

They list one for your XX so no clue what's going on there.

This device won't help for that, but if it makes you feel better then go with it.

I just use my brake when slowing down to trigger the light..it has become habit.

On the xx, I installed an LED strobe that flashes a few times each time I touch the brake and then it goes solid.