CBR1100XX.org Forum

Faded out digital dash on my 2001

John01XX

Anyone know of a business that can repair/replace the polarizer film on a digital dash on a 2000-2008 CBR1100XX.
I had to replace my dash as shown in the picture and trying to locate someone that can fix up my original.
I have the circuit board and LCD removed and ready to ship to someone (hopefully in America) that can repair it. 
The speedometer works and looks good.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Faded-Dash-3.jpg

Dash-Repair-2.jpg

John,

I have nothing.... But questions.

You garage your bike right?

Is the diffuser glass or plastic? Is it removeable from the LCD?

Could it be polished with a headlight polish?  

Did you clean the display often or use something like armour all?

My bike has 61k, but is stored in a carport.  It doesn't show that problem. 

Niether does the SV, and it spent its early life outdoors.

I hope to learn from this thread.

58 minutes ago, redxxrdr said:

That's what I'm thinking.  Heavy direct sunlight/UV exposure or physical damage would make some sense, but those things hold up very, very well over time otherwise.

1 hour ago, redxxrdr said:

John,

I have nothing.... But questions.

You garage your bike right?

Is the diffuser glass or plastic? Is it removeable from the LCD?

Could it be polished with a headlight polish?  

Did you clean the display often or use something like armour all?

My bike has 61k, but is stored in a carport.  It doesn't show that problem. 

Niether does the SV, and it spent its early life outdoors.

It has happened on a few different Bird's as documented on the "premier" CBRXX.com forum!

If you google LCD polarizer film replacement, you will find lots of info on it. Most of the info is in reference to LCD Monitor screens. It seems that heat is the main damaging element. There are a couple places overseas that can do the polarizer film replacement at a reasonable cost but none that I know of here in the States. I did find a guy in Missouri that does the LCD dash repairs for Corvette's where it also seems to be a common problem. Similar problem exists for iphones as well but can not find anyone that will work on the Bird LCD. Evidently the Polarizer film comes in a few different "degrees" of film. Replacement film is available on ebay and amazon if you know the correct "degree" film to buy. It is cheap but the trick is knowing how to remove the old and apply the new correct degree film.
There is a guy in Singapore that has done a few Bird LCD Dashes but I was trying to find someone here in the States. Shipping costs are stupid high to Singapore and back.

Hey John, I searched for some specifics on this.  It looks like there are several places around the world that do this sort of repair, and a lot of them are in XX-happy England.  Might the other John or some of your contacts over there have some ideas?

Just to clarify, I have zero interest in screwing up your otherwise working display, there was no insinuation there. I'm looking for a junk piece just to get the technique figured out.

• Upvote 1

Well you made me look.

I may work with electronics, but I replace, not repair displays.

But now that you posted, you KNOW, that mine will soon fail.😱

Attached is is a Theory Link

This looks like it could be a really involved process.

Just wondering, Did your total miles move over when you swapped displays?

Or did you swap the whole cluster?

edit, it looks like the display is attached to the display board, so I bet you got the mileage of the replacement cluster.

image.png

Edited by redxxrdr

33 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Hey John, I searched for some specifics on this.  It looks like there are several places around the world that do this sort of repair, and a lot of them are in XX-happy England.  Might the other John or some of your contacts over there have some ideas?

Just to clarify, I have zero interest in screwing up your otherwise working display, there was no insinuation there. I'm looking for a junk piece just to get the technique figured out.

I will contact John and also post it up on Facebook since I am friends with a few Brits that may have idea's. Thanks for the suggestion.

LOL I knew exactly what you were asking for. I am hoping to get some info, for you to be able to learn the technique to do some here in the States.

I watched a YouTube video and it appears fairly straight forward if you have the LCD completely separate and you have the correct degree polarizing film.

23 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Spoke with John and said there are many automotive LCD repair places for the automobile industry.
He said to just tell them you need a polarizer film replacement on a Honda race car dash LCD display.

If I can not get anyone to do it here in the States, I can send it over to him to get it done but will be far more expensive with shipping and the dollar conversion.