CBR1100XX.org Forum

Leakdown tester

CALCXX

I once owned a Snapon leakdown tester in the 90's. I loaned it to a friend and the friend left the state.

I miss it. I now have more time to work and play at retirement. The leakdown tester will locate exactly where compression loss occurs.

This tester is much less $$ than the Snapon. How good is it?  The principle of operation is quite simple. The execution of display is similar.

I will give it a shot. Review to follow.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/atd-5573a-cylinder-leak-tester/atdn5573a,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=atdn5573a&gclid=CPScs5nvtdACFZCcfgod9u4CEg

Edited by CALCXX

The adapters are generally the same.

I've never used a leak down tester.  When I find a compression problem I just shoot air into the plug hole and listen for where it's coming out.  Never much cared what the percentage of leakage was.

Leakdown testing not only locates the problem but also shows the extent of the problem.

It is very important with turbocharged & supercharged engines which operate with much higher cylinder pressures than NA engines.

Cal, don't forget to remove the valve from the adapter when testing leakdown.

13 hours ago, CALCXX said:

If you have a marginal % of leakage, it would be good to know where it is located.

You made reference to this twice now, the tester doesn't tell you where the leak is, you have to use your ears or other methods to determine where it's leaking.

10 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

You made reference to this twice now, the tester doesn't tell you where the leak is, you have to use your ears or other methods to determine where it's leaking.

Yes using your ears shows you where the leak is.

But % is a useful tool for many repairing expensive engines.  

You have posted enough that I know you understand this.  But for others, many engines have leak down minimum specs, as well as balance between cylinder specs.

Gone are the days of $200.00 piston / cylinder sets for aircraft, or $50.00 for VW.  

It is acceptable to replace one or two cylinders on certain engines, based on differential pressure testing.

You can legally replace only what is needed. Plus it is a great way to track engine wear over time.

A leak down tester is not the only way that a good mechanic can figure out what is going on in a engine.  But it sure is handy.  Especially on the larger 9-18 cylinder aircraft engines that I used to help with.

The AI that I used to help always use Nitrogen for his pressure source.  Dry, clean, regulated, portable, and already available since it was used to fill landing gear struts on larger planes. 😏

• Upvote 1

Absolutely a useful tool, not bashing it's usefulness.  I assume Calc is just a hobbyist/guy who plays with engines a bit (I don't keep up with who does what very well) and didn't want him thinking this is a magical tool or one that is 'needed' for the home tinkerer.  He might know twice as much as I do about engines, not a clue.  I've had several friends who 'had to have one' because of something they read from another ignorant gear-head.  Some of them go to the extent to say things like "idiots use a compression gauge but a real mechanic uses a leak-down tester".  If one is working on specialty engines and has specs or a good knowledge of what percentage of leakage is normal then the tool is somewhat indispensable for wear testing.

The Leak Down tester arrived and quality/fit looks good. The worries of plugs thread size are nill.

They provided the adapters. For now I don't see any reason why it won't show results any differant than my beloved Snap-on tool missing since the 90's.

I now have time to devote to my retirement projects moth balled for decades.

Ninjas, XX's, 954 and S1000rr have delayed this interest for decades.

I have stored these projects well. Time to do something. I still know how.

up next for nostagia- 3 1/2 Honda 750's in pieces

Honda CB890 Turbo AT/Pak Rajay B25 - have all parts to repair

Honda RC Cobra CB750-1000 Pro-Stock Motor- Needs teardown and inspect.

Honda RC 836 - Needs battery

1/2 = ? spare 77 sohc SS motor with 2100 miles.

The SS motor has a lower geared 4th and 5th gear ratio.

This is what I have already in the 890 Turbo with undercut gears.

I did the undercut myself at 5 degrees and it held. 

These projects probably won't beat my s1000rr but what if it did?

I would be well beyond proud.

The last time I drag raced was at the NeXXt 09 meet. I loved it.

Think I can love it again.

Edit: the SS motor also had an F2 grind cam that works well with the Turbo 890.

Did for me.

another edit: Nostalgia got my head spining. Met Pee We Gleason of American Turbo Pak in Fresno. He was a really small pro drag racer. The guy was probably 135lbs soaking wet. 80lbs of it were balls.

Edited by CALCXX

14 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Met Pee We Gleason of American Turbo Pak in Fresno. He was a really small pro drag racer. The guy was probably 135lbs soaking wet. 80lbs of it were balls.

I read about him every month in Cycle magazine (I think).  He was the fastest guy around and always was the go to rider for the mags looking for the quickest time.

Gleason rocked the cycle world and created the VMAX legend. He was in poor health a few years back and I havent kept up with him for a while. My buddy got an awesome autographed VMAX poster from him,..... And I was too busy to get on too. Kool guy and a kool piece of 80's cycle history. You promoted a performance bike back then you hired him to wring it out in the quarter mile.