CBR1100XX.org Forum

Radiator Question - I think I know the answer, but I need confirmation

Zero Knievel

In relation to my coolant system thread, I drained the bike today to put in the flush/cleaner and let it sit.

Saw something that DOES NOT make me a happy camper.

As the bike heated up, I saw "wisps" of vapor coming off of the radiator.  My original one did this even after it was "repaired" (w/epoxy by a radiator shop) and passed every pressure test (no air escaping), although it was more of a faint "plume" of steam that puffed out from one spot.  I bought another XX radiator from someone else and installed it as a preventative nature.  Now, I am seeing wisps of vapor coming off the radiator (pressure cap side), and where they are coming from is "moist."  No coolant dripping , but if the loss is this gradual, odds are it never builds to the level where liquid coolant gets to drip to the ground.

As I see it, any amount of coolant escaping from the system (even in vapor form) means I'm slowly losing coolant.  I can dismount this radiator and have it pressure tested, but past experience tells me it could "pass" every pressure test (done with air) and I would still have this vapor "leak" issue.

As I've never observed cars/trucks when their coolant systems were fully exposed, I've only observed this phenomenon on the XX.  To me, a leak usually results in dripping coolant.  Only on a motorcycle have I seen "vapor" seeping out of the system without liquid accumulation.

1.  Is this in any way "normal?"

2.  Does it pose an issue to worry about (e.g., catastrophic failure is coming and this is a warning sign) or is it something easily  managed by ensuring the overflow tank isn't running low?

3.  Can it be repaired or is it just better to replace the radiator?

I suspect I'll have to replace the radiator, but it's a pricey part. :(

The system doesn't have to be perfect to function normally.  Obviously it's a sign that something is leaking slowly, but if it's not pissing fluid it's not a huge concern.

My dad's car would leak fluid constantly, had a crack half way down the side (plastic side tanks.)  That's catastrophic.  My brother's car would steam but only at operating temperature, had a crack at the top of the radiator (plastic top and bottom tanks.)  That's livable (and it did for two months because he didn't tell me) but won't kill the vehicle.  What you are talking about is more like an annoyance.

If I remember right your bike has 90 K miles on it so-

If you don't see any drips, just keep the overflow in the upper level and keep a eye on it.  You might be replacing it (bike) next summer anyway as you have talked about.

Are you sure that you didn't spill a little when filling?  I wouldn't worry about catastrophic failure without warning. If it starts to leak, run it half cap to get home.

IF you got any liquid on the outside of the radiator, it will boil off as wisp of steam as it warms up.

You can see the same thing after you take your hot car through a car wash.

I would top the radiator, and take it on a couple mile ride with the lowers off and look again.

If nothing, then let it cool and check the coolant level again.

Hopefully your only chasing a ghost.

Edit,

if you really have a leak, the overflow won't help you.

you must have a sealed system to pull a vacuum on the overflow bottle to return the expanded coolant back into the radiator as it cools.

For leaks, check fluid level and top off the system at the radiator.

Edited by redxxrdr

It can't leak vapor unless there's vapor in it, if it's full this can't happen.  If nothing leaked onto it before start-up then you have a leak.  I've never seen or heard of a radiator that passed a pressure test but still leaked, until you.  It's also not common for these to develop leaks and you now have two 'leaking' radiators....you're unlucky or smokin crack.  Keep running it and see if the steam stops after a while, might just be something that got on the radiator.  And/or rent a pressure tester from an auto parts store; generally free, you just leave a deposit on it.  If you find no leakage and are still in doubt, drain the coolant, pressurize, and spray the area with soapy water.  The chances that it passes an air pressure test but leaks fluid in use is so damn slim.

I'll give the radiator a good spray down with engine cleaner and hose it off.  Once it's really dry, I'll see if I see it return.

Good point that I might have spilled stuff on the radiator.  The wet spot is under where the radiator/fill cap is.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:36 AM, brianmacza said:

Or a hose clamp might be loose enough that a tiny weep gets past when cold but swells up enough to seal when hot. Stranger shit happens...

Cold hose connection leaks are actually pretty common.

It also could be a cracked cylinder head; or defective cylinder block allowing air into the system and perhaps compression to pressurize the coolant system until it forces coolant out of microscopic flaws in the radiator.

You may want to think about trading it in. Maybe on a Burgman?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

It also could be a cracked cylinder head; or defective cylinder block allowing air into the system and perhaps compression to pressurize the coolant system until it forces coolant out of microscopic flaws in the radiator.

Was the radiator made by a company owned by G.W.B?

5 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Was the radiator made by a company owned by G.W.B?

Don't be silly. 

Haliburton maybe. Which means the radiator is designed to destroy the environment, increase global warming, and enrich big oil at the expense of poor minorities and women.

I guess Bush was involved after all.....

4 hours ago, jon haney said:

They certainly are on my Triumph Street Triple.:rolleyes:

I've found that Permatex aviation sealer works wonders on hoses.  It stays soft so future hose removal is no issue.  I use it on marine stuff to keep corrosion issues down and it seems to work well.  A cast iron hose nipple and sea water don't play well and leads to leaks and/or severely stuck hoses that sometimes have to be cut off....expensive hoses.  I've used it on a few cars & boats where a nipple was already pitted badly and it kept the connection from leaking, handy when replacing one would be $$$.

• Upvote 1

Like ones that have had piercings that went badly, been there.  Such a shame cuz they were otherwise really nice.

Ever run into inverted nipples?  That was interesting.  They'd pop out with enough motivation, but were otherwise innies.  What they were attached to was good to go so fuck it.  A lot I did.