CBR1100XX.org Forum

Water Pump/Thermostat Help ('99 XX)

Zero Knievel

Drain system removing plugs/hoses/thermostat as needed to assure a full drain.  Use an air blower to help remove trapped water/coolant.  Add prep fluid, run engine at least 10 minutes and drain/blow as before.  Add Evans coolant purging and topping off as needed.  Check Evans with a refractometer to verify less than 3% water content.  Recheck level the first couple runs to assure that all air is out and coolant level has stabilized.

Since you have about half the prep fluid left over you could drain & prep again for the fuck of it, that should assure no water is left in there.  Poor man's water test, assuming you don't have a refractometer in the toolbox:  put some coolant on a little piece of aluminum foil folded to make a small puddle.  Heat with a cigarette lighter and see if it boils.  I've done this to test the gear oil from boat outdrives to check for water.  It takes very little time to heat the oil to where it's smoking, if there's water it starts to boil pretty quickly.  Not knowing how Evan's reacts you can compare to a test using some from the bottle as a baseline.  Assuming your system is the same size as the one in the manual photo above you only got about 2/3 drained which means you'd have about 1/3 prep fluid left when you go to coolant.  Unless you figure out how to get that out I'd contact them to find out how much prep fluid is OK to leave in with the coolant, 1/3 capacity seems like a lot and maybe too much, but I know nothing about this stuff.  Maybe try flushing with another round of coolant if you can't figure out how to get a full drain, but it really shouldn't be hard to get a pretty complete drain on this system.

As for your fan operation, since it's seeing radiator temp and not the engine temp you see on the gauge the engine temp to fan on/off temp will vary depending on air temp and air speed if moving or the when the fan comes on.

the bolts in the radiator have a shoulder washer that when tight grounds it. Might be the problem, check for tight. Both sides top and one in the bottom, rubber insulated.

Yes, I have seen low coolant preventing fan from comming on . I run the bike with the cap off till I see circulation and expansion then cap. Gets the air out. Bikes, on the side stand is easier than the quad.

Well, I drained the prep fluid and left a few hoses disconnected.  Blew air through the system several times then left the bike on the side stand to set.  I overfilled one 1/2 gallon container and put the excess recovered into a 1 litre drink bottle...almost filled it.  I'm going to leave the system open for at least a week.  Any water still in the motor should evaporate out in that time.  The "drain bolts" at the base of the cylinders are stupid easy to spot.  Four silver headed bolts in the back side of the engine block.  Opening them didn't drain squat out, but I blew air into them just in case.

Adding kitty litter should also sop up water. That stuff work great and I think if the granuals are small enough the pump impellor should circulate them just fine. Skim em out with some fine mesh screen.