CBR1100XX.org Forum

cbrxx water pump bolt snapped

poida

it had started to leak slightly from the weep hole on the underside of the pump.when i checked the overflow bottle and noticed it was low on coolant i removed the fairing and started checking all the hoses and thats when i noticed the leak.had to lie on the ground and use a torch to find the weep hole.the manual states that if it,s leaking from the weep hole then it's time for a new pump.prior to that,

going back a few years the bike seemed to be getting hotter while in traffic quicker than it normally would and taking a longer time to get back to normal. the flow looked really good and i checked the vanes with an endoscope and it looked good so while it bugged me i just kinda put it down to the roads being more congested now and im spending more time stuck at traffic lights.

what i found though when adjusting the valves a little while back gave me a new theory on it.i had removed the radiator and decided to flush it out with a hose.this was a new radiator i bought near the end of 2011 (the old radiator had no corrosion, it got holed from outside).the top radiator fitting had been painted or powder coated on the inside and it had been flaking off .there was a piece about the size of a fingernail that had lifted and was about ready to take off into the coolant.ended up sanding off what remained but it got me thinking that the flakes may have been clogging the cooling system .the flakes may have even damaged the water pump seal ?ive always used the honda coolant as it is silicate free and change it every 2 years.

i didnt take any pics of the water pump while it was still on the bike.

I doubt the flakes could get into the seal.  300k seems reasonable for the seal to be worn out.  My Super Hawk's pump started weaping after doing a coolant change using Honda coolant, it had under 10k miles at the time.  As I added water to replenish what was being lost it stopped leaking.  My guess is that the coolant was too 'slippery' and getting past the seal and diluting it cured the problem.  Shouldn't have happened but it did.