CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone else cooking batteries with their Battery Tender?

OrganDonor

Do you know what voltage it maintains on the battery?  Over 13.2 and you risk cooking it and loosing the water, especially in hot weather.  Below 13 and it may not effectively prevent sulphation.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-158-Automatic-Battery-Charger/product-reviews/B000FQBWCY

I've had one for years, the power button went a little wonky, but it charges very well. It even recovered my motorcycle battery after I had left the GPS running and didn't notice for a week. Battery was of course flat as a pancake, I put it on the charger and  it works, great, I keep it as a spare for my lawn mower. 

This is what I'm looking at now: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g3500-smart-battery-charger-0111927p.html#srp

It will do small and large batteries, my little one won't handle the two 100Ah batteries I'm currently charging. 

Edited by JoWhee

Over the years the Deltran Battery Tender trickle chargers have come in different versions. Some have no markings other than the brand name; one version is marked "PLUS", and another is marked "Super Smart". All are supposedly capable of charging @1.25A and holding a mild surface charge. If the battery's state of charge drops below a certain level (12.5v?) the tender will interrupt its cycle and cease further charging; however, the green (LED) charging light remains lit--not very helpful IMHO. I've also had Deltran tenders that overcharged and wouldn't stop, cooking the battery and swelling its case.

I have grown leery of Deltran tenders. A few years ago I switched to a Schumacher product (PS-1562A) and had no problems since. Unfortunately, that (1.5A) model is no longer available, replaced (I suspect) by another (2.0A) model. See links . . .

http://www.batterychargers.com/ps-1562a/

http://www.batterychargers.com/sc-200a/

I've used the cheap HF "automatic battery float charger", they run a whopping $5 or $6 when they go on sale.  The couple I tested held at or just below 13.2.  I don't think they have any 'smarts' in them that would shut one down.  Rated output is .4 amps, not gonna do much for recharging a low battery, but I've never had one go low while in storage.  I've only used it on car size batteries in my boats, both starting and deep cycle wet cells and would occasionally plug it into the Optima starting batt. to keep it up.  As with any charger/maintainer, especially a cheap one, don't trust it 'till you test it and check your battery voltage as often as reasonably possible while in storage.

2 hours ago, ironmike said:

Over the years the Deltran Battery Tender trickle chargers have come in different versions.

This true, they are not all the same.

2 hours ago, ironmike said:

I have grown leery of Deltran tenders.

I have three plugged in full time from Nov to April every year without an issue and I get at least 7 years out of my batteries. 

The small Battery Tender jr, is just a maintainer,which is fine if your voltage doesn't drop too low,say below 12.2 ish. The Optimate 3 is an actual charger,the are many different Optimate charger now, but at a minimum the 3 is great. Yuasa has a couple,they have a new 3 amp charger,desulphate mode one. Ctek is another good one,been using one of those the last couple years. Optimate is the brand dealers HAVE to use here (Honda and Kawasaki for sure,can't remember what Suzuki and Yamaha insist on) to claim warranty ALL stock batteries.I have recovered a few customer batteries and one of my own but usually you just get 3-6 more months out of it.

I have also had a couple die(1 Batt Tender,1 Yuasa) but they were both past warranty .

I switch my Jr. between the two bikes to maintain them both. Sometimes I throw it on the lawnmower.

Have had a battery fail on me at the beginning of a ride. Unplugged the Jr. bike started fine, rode to town 10 or 11 miles. Stopped at a store for 2 minutes and dead. Not enough juice to do anything. Got jumped started and rode to autozone where I did a systems check, all pointed to the battery. $100 later I was up and going with a sealed gel battery. Think that battery died 3 yrs later.

My Battery Tender Jr. has been a model of reliability.  It does more than just maintain.  I have a small battery on my trailer as a back-up for the electric brakes.  The Jr. brought it back to life from less than 8 volts.  A year later, it swelled up so much I could barely get it out of the holder, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with using the Jr.

I also used it on my wife's car battery.  Started at about 11.4 volts and brought it up to 12.6 after about 14 hours.

I have been using the 1562 Schumacher for years. My buddy had one and it was boiling his (old) battery and he threw it away blaming it for the problem. I suggested his battery could have had a shorted cell that was responsible for the charger opperating continuously to the point of boiling. He scoffed.

One month later he had to replace the battery as it gave up the ghost.

I thought the 1562 was still available at Farm and Fleet.