CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mystery clunking/tapping vibration in right hand grip

speedygeezer

This oddity happens between 3K and 4K rpms in 3rd and 4th gears only.  This started a couple weeks ago.  Motor has 72K miles on it, chain has 18K miles and is still in the green, sprockets ok, wheel bearings ok.

I suspect the transmission, but not sure. 

Anybody got a clue?

Tks.

Still could be a stuck chain link. 

You could carefully, at idle,put the bike in gear while on the center stand.

if you see the chain jumping at intervals, then probable stuck link. 

Or grab and twist vertically each link connection on the chain.

I bet you find two or more stuck together and not flexing.

3 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

Still could be a stuck chain link. 

You could carefully, at idle,put the bike in gear while on the center stand.

if you see the chain jumping at intervals, then probable stuck link. 

Or grab and twist vertically each link connection on the chain.

I bet you find two or more stuck together and not flexing.

Problem is that even a good chain jumps around at idle.  Unless you've done it with a good chain you'd have no idea what bad looks like.

That's very odd.

Rather than concentrate on trying to find the source I'd first look at why only in the right grip.  If there was an actual problem causing a vibration it seems it should be felt in both, and possibly in the seat, and possibly heard.  Only in two gears and in a short RPM range, could be normal harmonics being felt because of something in that clip-on, fork, etc. and not be an actual fault causing the vibration; just a thought.

That's a pretty limited window, almost sounds more like something related to that particular speed range.  But only in one grip is the puzzling part.  I wonder if maybe something has come loose inside the bar itself, or if something is in a harmonic vibration exclusively on the right fork.  Maybe a rotor is loose, or a brake caliper bolt, could even be a fender bolt on that side.  Brake lever, bar end, etc.  I'd check every bolt on the right fork and move from there.  Or, when it's happening, use your left hand and put pressure on the brake lever, bar end, right side of the windscreen, dash, anything that is reachable to try to find the external source.  Then you'll have to start pulling plastics.  I think it's up front, not in the rear.

The only thing I can find out of sorts is the chain.  Why it manifests itself in the right hand grip is beyond me, altho I'm now feeling some vibes in the left one.  Looks like the next step is a new chain.

Will advise.

• 3 weeks later...

not fixed  yet, but I think it was a sticky link in the drive chain.  Been having trouble getting a 530 masterlink due to a real jarhead at the local bike shop.  Finally got one, and then fucked it up installing it - as in not cutting off enough of the new chain prior to installing it.  So, now I get to do it all over again....as soon as I get another masterlink, that is.

Anybody need a couple of 520 masterlinks?