CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sand in oil-in-frame

Nova Scotia Mike

So my brother is restoring a '70s Triumph he bought in boxes. 

The unknown PO had the frame sandblasted and painted, but there is still sand evident in the frame.  This is an oil-in-frame bike with only slinger filtration so any residual sand is going to knocker the engine.

What's the best way to clean out this frame and get rid of the sand? Shop vac? Flush with kerosene some how? Something better?

thanks

Washing it out with solvent should get it out, but I'd install a filter if possible.  If 'slinger filtration' means a centrifuge they can be very effective, but I'd still want a filter.

can't imagine it being a big deal, flush with kero or petrol really well, then oil to get the kero out. Then run it for a short ride and change the oil.

Thanks all. He's planning to wash the inside of the frame out at a coin op car wash, then run kerosene through it repeatedly until no sand is coming out, then flush cheap oil through it to get rid of the kerosene.

Local vintage triumph guru is heavily recommending against adding any sort of in-line filter. Says the slightest restrictions have caused catastrophic failures in the past.

2 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

Thanks all. He's planning to wash the inside of the frame out at a coin op car wash, then run kerosene through it repeatedly until no sand is coming out, then flush cheap oil through it to get rid of the kerosene.

Local vintage triumph guru is heavily recommending against adding any sort of in-line filter. Says the slightest restrictions have caused catastrophic failures in the past.

I'd shoot some degreaser in before the water and let it soak for a bit, any left over oil in there is gonna hold on to the sand and be hard to remove.  If it's possible to get a bottle brush in there I'd do it.  Spraying and flushing won't get it all out unless there's a lot of flow or pressure put though it and it's likely that you can't achieve that.

If the oil pump is that minimal it would seem like something to modify while it's apart.  Maybe the issue is with people adding a filter before the pump and starving it.-? They push better than they pull.  It could also be an issue with filters draining when parked and oil starving that way.  You can add a filter in the return line, it's done on a lot of old bikes.  Map is the name coming to mind.  Filtered before or after it goes through the engine is better than not at all.