CBR1100XX.org Forum

CBR1000rr Rear Shock Conversion

Muddy288

Hi Guys, I have recently bought a 04 bird with approx 110,000km's.  I am looking to upgrade the rear shock and was wondering if anyone had tried using a CBR1000rr unit for the purpose. I apologise if there is already a thread for this.

Cheers

Muddy

I'm a frugal ( cheap) son of a gun and recently searched old threads for this very subject.

I found a lot of feedback that the 954 and 1000 shocks, while better than a XX OEM shock, required a much heavier spring, and the damping didn't work as well on the heavier bike.

That being said, I did find This link.

I have no first hand experience, but post it as a reference and talking point.

Oh, 

Welcome.

I miss my RD.  Post some pictures in the pub sometime.

Edited by redxxrdr

Dig those old 2 strokes you have Muddy.  Didn't even know they made a RZ250 'till now.  I second Redxx, post some pics of them old smokers.

Edited by superhawk996

On 9/13/2016 at 2:22 PM, blackhawkxx said:

What is a reasonable price?

~ $1000 for a bolt on custom valved solution.  Bike is much better with the correct springing and valving

Nitron Racing Shocks USA
CobraHeat LLC
PO Box 15715
Covington, Ky. 41015
PH: (801) 663-7436

Damn, I'd forgotten the stocker does that.  Our freeways are pretty shitty overall and the cement ones have nasty bumps where the slabs meet, that constant rhythmic bumping sucks.  Beats on the spine, shakes your head/helmet...  There are some spots and speeds where it still does it, but not as bad.  Over long bumps and dips if feels like it's tighter, moves less and doesn't bottom, on the little sharp bumps it feels softer.  I'm guessing it has more low speed dampening and less high speed, something that good shocks often achieve.  It looks like it has used the bump stop, but not in a while as it has a good dust layer.  I'm only about 175#, carry minimal luggage, and no passengers.

I still have the stock shock and get curios to compare, but haven't been curious enough to hassle with swapping.

Edit: Next time you're in SoCal come give it a feel.

Edited by superhawk996

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Next time you're in SoCal come give it a feel.

Thanks, it's only a hop, skip and a jump away. :)

As far as bumps, you should try the frost heaves we have in this area.  If you don't happen to notice them in time to put your weight on the pegs, they hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a custom shock made by Jamie Daugherty of Daugherty Motorsports   http://daughertymotorsports.com/cbr1100xx.html . It started life as a VFR800 shock then he added a custom piston and revalved, and resprung it for my weight. No core required if prearranged. I think it was less than $400 and wow! Big difference. I`m not a fast rider but enjoy pushing my own comfort limits and having fun in the twisties. I adjusted the rebound damping once and haven`t touched it since. The harshness over sharp bumps is gone.