CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Balancer

I have never had a motorcycle tire balancer before and just used a rod between two jack stands.  I guess that I have been close enough but wanted to do better plus the Stone 023 that I put on the front of the Bird seems to be not perfect over about 110 mph and up.  The 023 does seem to have a hard sidewall so I don't know for sure what it is but it isn't very bad.  So I went looking for a cheap tool and found this for $29.99 shipped on e=bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182194326330?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I put it together today and I think that it will work OK (haven't used it yet).  I had to do a couple little tweaks but the axle is straight (many Harbor Freight reviews for their products talking about bent axles) and the bearing spin so I think that it should work well.  It's not Snap On quality but for less than $30, I think that it will work.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John01XX said:

Did you buy stick-on weights?

Not the stick on kind yet. I have glued them on a time or two.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's been 47 minutes....update? Does it work? :)

Run your wheel down and I'll try it out.  :D

I removed the front wheel from the Bird today and the tire was out of balance. I was going to glue on some weights but went to NAPA and got a stick of stick-ons for 2 bucks so that wasn't too bad. I used wide masking tape to so I could find out what weight was needed without sticking them on. One square wasn't enough and two was too much so I cut a little at a time off until perfect balance was achieved. The lead weight is easy to cut with side cuts. Used alcohol to clean the spot were they would stick on. Since part of my wheel is polished, I put them as close to the center of the wheel as I could, next to the ridge.  Then used a small brush to paint them black so they are hard to even see.  I traced around the shapes of the cut weights hoping that if I ever lose one, I could cut another to size and reinstall without balancing again.  The balancer seemed to work well and turned smoothly.  For $30, I wish that I would have got one many years ago. 

Wheel.jpg 

• Upvote 1