CBR1100XX.org Forum

09 Ninja 250

SLyFoXX

Not mine but attempting help her out, from what I'm being told the bake has sat with a full tank of gas for 9 months.  Bike will start and idle but once you open the throttle the engine dies. 

She is going to start by replace old fuel with new, what else?  I assume the carburetor is glazed, what is the best way to remove the gunk in the carb?

Dump old fuel, add 1 gallon of fresh preferably pure gas (ethanol free).  You can try spraying carb cleaner in the airbox, start the bike let it idle and spray more carb cleaner in the intake and gradually try to raise the rpm's very slowly. 

Chances are you may have to do a full carb clean.

If the carb cleaner works and you can get it to rev then run some fresh fuel with a heavy mix of K100 or Seafoam.

• Upvote 1

, Remove the carburetor, disassemble it, be prepared to carefully remove needle and seat,  primary, and main jets to soak in Carburetor cleaner. the kind that comes in a one gallon can with a basket, available at most auto supply stores, plan to have it  apart over night for best results, this is nasty stuff and can burn your skin. Start with a new can, not an open or used can. you will need rubber gloves to handle the jets when they come out, have compressed air to blow threw them to and to dry them before reassembly, to make sure, I use a magnifying glass to inspect before reassembly. replace the needle and seat with new.  depending on your economic situation it would be best to replace all the jets with new. I haven't looked but I am sure there are aftermarket Carb. kits for that bike. they can save you a bunch of money over OE from the dealer

Best of luck let me know how it turns out.

I can't match TOXXIC's offer, especially with the daughter offer, that's quite generous.

Odd that the idle circuit works, unless it only runs on the choke then that's pretty normal.  A simple attempt would be to drain the bowls and fill them with spray carb clean and let sit.  You should be able to get easy access to the drain screws at the bottom of the bowls, or just let it idle 'till it runs out.  Most likely you'll have to remove the bowls & jets and clean them out.  If the jets are super plugged and the pressure of the carb clean won't blow them out take a piece of electrical wire, pull a strand and use that to poke out the jets.  The strand has to be small enough to fit in the jet hole.  Sometimes you'll have to hold a little pressure on the wire and spin the jet to 'drill' through the gunk.  The copper wire is soft enough to not hurt the jets.  JIC screwdrivers are your friend, phillips screwdrivers on those JIC screws are your enemy.  Sometimes it'll work, but if the screws are stuck don't press your luck with a phillips, once the heads are damaged it just gets worse.  If there's space I often use small vise-grips to break them loose then screwdriver, the grip & torque of pliers makes it easy to break them loose.  No need to replace the hoses unless they're messed up, sitting doesn't generally hurt them.

On August 30, 2016 at 9:22 PM, TOXXIC said:

Throw it in the truck and bring it up here. We, um...I can pull the carb, we can clean it. You can meet my daughter and we can get drunk. Done!!!!

L and I need to make a drive up to see you Tim, I'll call you next week been too long 

• Upvote 1

It's and friend of L's daughter, she bought it and I think she had a low speed crash and has not rode it since.  

A little up date:. She removed the old fuel and put fresh gas, bike now can run up to 5k before it begins to sputter.  She's going to spray carb cleaner in the air box and see how much of an improvement that does, I assume it's making progress.  

With any any luck it will clean up with carb cleaner and seafoam. 

On September 2, 2016 at 5:43 AM, SLyFoXX said:

It's and friend of L's daughter, she bought it and I think she had a low speed crash and has not rode it since.  

A little up date:. She removed the old fuel and put fresh gas, bike now can run up to 5k before it begins to sputter.  She's going to spray carb cleaner in the air box and see how much of an improvement that does, I assume it's making progress.  

With any any luck it will clean up with carb cleaner and seafoam. 

Carb clean into the airbox won't help the carbs and can hurt the motor.  Carb clean directly into the air jets can sometimes clear the jets.

• Downvote 1

Seafoam and Snake oil are both of the same value in this situation, Neither will work, and as suggested, can cause engine damage. If you do not do it right the first time,

when will you have time to do it over again ? Do not "Cheap the repair"   Remove the main jet for proper cleaning, and as a bonus but a new Iridium plug in it .

Good luck 

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Carb clean directly into the air jets can sometimes clear the jets.

Yep, did it yesterday on another bike. Took airbox lid off, sprayed with the straw into each jet and couple blast of compressed air.  Started it up and sprayed a little more and all was good.

It would not have helped if it was the main jets but with air jets, it has worked for me many times over the years.

Edited by blackhawkxx

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Yep, did it yesterday on another bike. Took airbox lid off, sprayed with the straw into each jet and couple blast of compressed air.  Started it up and sprayed a little more and all was good.

It would not have helped if it was the main jets but with air jets, it has worked for me many times over the years.

The air jets rarely clog, but they lead to the fuel jets so spraying into the air jets can clear the fuel jets.

• 2 weeks later...

My Ninja 250 is a 04 model, I bought it for $800 back in 2010 with 4k miles on odometer. 

The PO had it sitting outdoors without cover for nearly 2 yrs.

Idled rough, lots of surging in low (under 5k) rpm, above 7k rpm was better. 

Pre-gen Ninja 250 are tuned pretty well with OEM parts, taking the carb apart isn't necessary, IMO.  

I empty the tank, put minimal amount of fresh fuel and Seafoam mix, new sparkplugs and ran the piss out of it for 20-30 miles then repeat the process for the next 2 tanks of fuel.. and the idle just got batter and better.  

OEM jetting with 2 clip up from OEM setting, OEM chrome exhaust/air filter.. runs like a champ. 

I put a taller windscreen for winter, taller profile rear tire for lower engine rpm at high speed operation. 

Now at 18k mi. on odometer, it's my fav. commuter in traffic between Manhattan & Brooklyn... Sustained 85-90 mph; 11k rpm operation on the NJ/PA Trnpk between Philly and NYC.. not bad for $800. 

IMG_4926.jpg

Edited by "A"