CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any pro painters in the house?

XXitanium

Mom is getting ready to paint the deck. We're sanding now.

I built the deck 30 years ago. We usually get one season out of paint.

I typically pressure wash before painting (solid). The railings stay well, the deck boards last a year.

We had a paint last about three years once. I don't remember the brand/model name.

We've had Behr Deck Over recommended, but online reviews are saying it's sketchy and predicting bad performance, poor customer support and really difficult to remove the next rime you repaint.

Does anyone in the biz have any favorites please?

Tx,

Bill

I only learned how to paint when I bought my house and found out how much it costs to get a pro to do it.  However, the pro's I got estimates from and the pro who did the addition on my mom and dad's house all swear by Sherwin Williams.  My entire house, inside and out, is all Sherwin Williams.  But I don't know anybody with a painted deck, so I can't really help you with that aspect.  Everything I've ever seen has been treated lumber with no stain or paint.

Yeah I'm hearing that anything that you paint that is horizontal and flat the Sun and Rain get to it than just peels .

My brother suggested Sikkens.. my other brother suggested Trex I don't think he was trying to be funny.

One of the salesman at Ace Hardware said he had done his Deck with Australian Timber oil

...again translucent/absorbing into the wood.

+1 on the Behr products, not very good.

Sherwin williams has good products.

Paint is not the best for decks, solid bodied stain will work better. Oil based is better than water, if you can get it.

Messmers is my favorite.

Maybe this stuff?  They say to use this on wood counters (which I had thought about doing) but they also make marine products as well.  If it lives on a sea-going vessel, surely it will last longer on a deck.

I know there is a company around here that does something similar to Rhynoliner like they put in truck beds that supposedly will last 30 years on a house.  Maybe that's an option as well.

• 5 months later...

Do NOT paint a deck.  Only stain a deck.

If you live in a wet climate don't get an oil based product.  Bacteria want to eat the oil so toxins are put in to delay the inevitable.  Eventually, the toxins go away and the bacteria wins and you get a green deck.

I have had great luck with Sikkens stain.  Go to a really good place that specializes in paints.  Ask their opinion.  Lowes and home depot most of the time sell whatever is cheapest and gets you coming back to buy more.

1 hour ago, TuffguyF4i said:

Do NOT paint a deck.  Only stain a deck.

If you live in a wet climate don't get an oil based product.  Bacteria want to eat the oil so toxins are put in to delay the inevitable.  Eventually, the toxins go away and the bacteria wins and you get a green deck.

I have had great luck with Sikkens stain.  Go to a really good place that specializes in paints.  Ask their opinion.  Lowes and home depot most of the time sell whatever is cheapest and gets you coming back to buy more.

My brother and father-in-law also mentioned Sikkens. We sanded it this summer and didn't get a finish on it. I built the deck in 1985 with some wonder-wood mom bought on fire-sale. It's held up better than I would have guessed. There are a lot of splits in the surface. After thirty years I had to replace one board.

It should hold till this summer.

Thanks for the vote.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sherwin Williams is what I've had the best results with. I was told it says the most flexible which causes it to crack less not allowing any water to get underneath.

I am an amateur, never been paid to paint anything. Usually just my house or my Moms.

• Upvote 1