CBR1100XX.org Forum

Flagpoles

Nova Scotia Mike

Hi,

I'm thinking of sticking a flagpole in the ground in my yard. 

We've had a short post mounted one on our patio but it's not the right place for it. I do like the sound of wind passing over a flag and I like flying Canadian or Nova Scotia flags. I'll likely want a set it and forget it set up. I'd like it to be tidy at the ground and easy to mow around. I'd like it to be planted well and long lasting.

Are any of you flag flyers? Any and all suggestions/recommendations/general related info appreciated. 

I put up a 20" flagpole about 5 years ago in my front yard. I have the solar powered LED light on the top for night illumination.

I fly the American flag on top and the Don't Tread On Me, 1st Navy Jack Flag below.

I replace the flags as they get torn up from wind and rain, usually every 12-18 months.

I did not want to pay a lot of money so I bought the cheap kit linked too below and cemented in the ground with (2) 80# bags of concrete. 

No problem and no issues after 5 years. I make a Christmas tree out of mini light strings during the holidays using the flag pole as the tree trunk.

Very inexpensive and has worked well for me.

https://jet.com/product/detail/a53dc8114a504e5ab262ceb766a451e6?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_home_garden_a1:decor_flag_windsock_accessories_a1_other:na:PLA_348543900_24223368660_pla-164351316780:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_home_garden_a1&ds_cid=&ds_ag=decor_flag_windsock_accessories_a1_other&product_id=a53dc8114a504e5ab262ceb766a451e6&product_partition_id=164351316780&gclid=CN-wh63Ivs4CFUUdaQodPYQACg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've always been leery of the extendable flagpoles, but now that I see that you've had one in the south with our storms out of nowhere rain patterns, I'm seriously considering this.  Wondering if the one you linked is the same one they sell at HF.

48 minutes ago, Furbird said:

I've always been leery of the extendable flagpoles, but now that I see that you've had one in the south with our storms out of nowhere rain patterns, I'm seriously considering this.  Wondering if the one you linked is the same one they sell at HF.

It very well could be.

My only recommendation is to get the 20 footer or taller and not the 16' or 18'

I have wondered about mine when we have the routine strong wind and storms roll in but it has only flexed and swayed quite a bit but still standing. The weather has shredded a few flags but the pole stayed secure. 

Obviously known storms such as a hurricane the pole comes down in 5 minutes time.

6 hours ago, Furbird said:

Is yours concreted into the ground permanently, or does it slide into that PVC tube?  If it's completely removable, how does it stay locked in place when it's in that tube?

My base tube is an 18" aluminum tube, not PVC.  There are no lifting forces on the pole so it stays put, but easily can be manually lifted out by hand if need be for a major storm.  I have pulled it out once just to see if it was easy to do. It was. The base tube also has a hinged cover to prevent dirt, mulch etc some getting inside when the pole is removed. I have rubber mulch all around mine so if I want to remove the pole I just hand rake the rubber mulch from around the pole to expose the lid and top of the base. It is a fairly tight fit so you want to keep the base tube free of dirt or crud. If there was any worry of it coming out, it would be simple to drill a hole through the pole and base and insert a bolt. Two 80# bags of quikrete around the base and the base comes with 6" arms that stick out that get set in the concrete for stability.

Simple yet effective.

Edited by John01XX

The link you gave goes to a PVC ground tube, which is the same description as the HF one.  The HF reviews say that the twist locks fail and it does not hold up to rain very well.  I would have to assume you have a previous version that was better built.

Also consider checking the law if you wanna be compliant.  In the US there are ordinances and/or zoning rules on height, flag size, location, etc. and you could be fined and/or forced to remove it if it's not compliant.  In my area it requires a complaint to get looked at, but in some places the enforcement people drive around looking for stuff.