CBR1100XX.org Forum

Time to move on SOLD

In case there's a Canadian on here who doesn't own a blackbird and wants one. 

I'l be selling the givi rack/cases and Russel day long after the bike is sold. (this means you,Joe). 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1180807704

The bird and all it's goodies are off to a new home. 

Edited by JoWhee
sold it

I decided I want to sit when I pee, looking at an old 'wing. Still gonna ride, and be slow, except obviously in Marion, WV 

I may be following you, Jo.  I have been eying a BMW R1200C that I saw on Craigslist.   Spoke to the guy today.  May look at it this coming weekend if it is still available.  Debating whether I had enough fun on the BB over the past five years.  Did a 600+ mile trip last weekend and I was sore.  Muscles ached, butt was in pain for most of the ride.  Corbin seat not very comfortable on long highway stretches.  So I started looking at cruisers online which is what most of my friends in NJ ride.  I ran into an ad for the R1200C (Montauk edition) and started looking up things about it.  Slow as molasses with only 61Hp and 79lbft for a 600 lb bike.  But  I sort of like the style. And it is a cruiser that did not follow the Harley mold.  It was featured in a Bond flick back in 2002.  Die Another Day with Pierce Brosnan and Michele Yeow.  Also found out it was in the opening scene of Austin Powers Gold Member.  That is two more movies than the BB has been featured in. :)   

That was "Biker Boyz" not FTF.  I forgot about that one.  I think the BB lost the race.

Here is the clip for Die Another Day: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WS8FF0TRfw

and for Austin Powers Goldmember: http://youtu.be/vFhrc32kF6E

Sorry for hijacking the thread.  Back to original topic: talking Jowhee out of selling his blackbird. :)

15 hours ago, JoWhee said:

I decided I want to sit when I pee, looking at an old 'wing. Still gonna ride, and be slow, except obviously in Marion, WV 

Theres a really sweet Tiger for sale here if you just want more comfort but don't want to go total grandpa.

Why John? I've had an 1100, a 1200 both naked and a 1500SE. I hated the 1500, liked the 1100 and loved my 1200

mechanically speaking they were all rock solid. 

Edited by JoWhee

Not positive on the 1100/1200 but the 1500's are a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

The labor cost to change a rear tire on a 1500 is stupid expensive and Honda says 2.8 hours labor time for a rear tire.

Two local Goldwing shops here will not touch a 1500 wing for any amount of money.

I have a friend here that is in his 60's, retired Honda factory tech who will do the occasional rear tire change at his home at a

cost of $250.00 labor plus tire. A good reason to run a car tire and get big milage out of the tire to avoid tire change labor costs.

Before you buy a 1500 wing be sure to check for a local shop that will work on it, unless you plan on and have the ability to do it yourself.

I forget the exact problem but something about the rear drive pumpkin coming apart if you do not have a Honda factory special tool that is available through dealerships only at a stupid price. Supposedly the front is almost as bad. Some of the old school techs have made one of the needed special tools themselves with the help of a machine shop.

Edited by John01XX

I definitely won't be looking at a 1500, tbh I'm looking at this:

image.jpeg

or maybe this :

image.jpeg

i really like like the cafe racer and he's put in quite a bit of work, done all the engine seals, belts, and carb work. The second one is about half the price but needs work. 

48 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

The 1500 might not be the easiest to work on but is rock solid as far as reliability and it is nothing to get 15K out of a back tire.

Sounds like a Valkyrie might be what you are after. 

+1 on the Valkyrie

Nope I've looked at and lusted after a valk, especially with a 6into 6 exhaust, but I really like the old wings, the valk just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe an old v-max hmmmm.

Edited by JoWhee

Don't have a wing, not ready for one yet.

But I love wrenching, and John's post made me wonder.

Like so many things today, it looks like patience,. Time, patience, good tools, patience, a clean work area, patience, 

Good directions , and patience, and you could change a rear yourself.

And if you bought one with the street fighter look, you could substitute patience for beer.😎😎

There is something about the rear pumpkin that requires a special tool to hold it all together when the axle is removed. 

Supposedly if the pumpkin separates it becomes a huge nightmare to get realigned properly and fitted back together.

Honda has a special tool just for the pumpkin realignment and another special tool to hold it all together to prevent the need for the other special tool. of course these tool are over $100 each and only available from Honda!

Or some such nonsense as explained by a tech at Honda of America!

22 hours ago, John01XX said:

Not positive on the 1100/1200 but the 1500's are a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

The labor cost to change a rear tire on a 1500 is stupid expensive and Honda says 2.8 hours labor time for a rear tire.

Two local Goldwing shops here will not touch a 1500 wing for any amount of money.

I have a friend here that is in his 60's, retired Honda factory tech who will do the occasional rear tire change at his home at a

cost of $250.00 labor plus tire. A good reason to run a car tire and get big milage out of the tire to avoid tire change labor costs.

Before you buy a 1500 wing be sure to check for a local shop that will work on it, unless you plan on and have the ability to do it yourself.

I forget the exact problem but something about the rear drive pumpkin coming apart if you do not have a Honda factory special tool that is available through dealerships only at a stupid price. Supposedly the front is almost as bad. Some of the old school techs have made one of the needed special tools themselves with the help of a machine shop.

Not exactly correct..... I have had a '92 GL1500A Aspencade for about 10 years and just turned 100K miles last week....I bought it with 52K on the clock and I've put on a few tires....

No problems are seen with the rear diff and no "special" tools are required. What is required is patience and preferably having a lift that has the removable plate section under the rear tire. The Harbor Freight standard 1000 pound lift is marginal due to the big girls total weight...it really struggles to lift it from bottom without a helping hand. One exhaust can (left side I think) also has to be removed to clearance the axle bolt for full removal. A hitch mounted for trailer towing slightly adds to the difficulty....you have to loosen the forward mounting tab and tweak it down temporarily out of the way of the axle bolt as well. With all of these things at hand and ready, it takes a little over two but normally less than three hours to do a tire change at my own personal pace.

If you don't have a lift, it's a royal pain in the ass but can be done on the centerstand. Honda service manual directs you to remove the entire rear "clip"...top box, bags, and all....it can come off as one piece (as long as you don't have a hitch mounted that is...). It's not that big of a deal but requires a helper to lift it off and place it back on. Time consuming but doable for moderate skilled technical experience.

I could see easily charging $250 to an off the street customer.....

Edited by Warp11XX

Nope....nuttin special....elbow grease and patience....

Swingarm requires a special castle socket but not needed for tire changes.

Edited by Warp11XX

22 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

The 1500 might not be the easiest to work on but is rock solid as far as reliability and it is nothing to get 15K out of a back tire.

I've never gotten 15K out of a rear tire....9K has been tops for my experience. I'm not that much of an aggressive rider, but there isn't any moss on the tires either. I figure it's the fact that with me in the saddle, we're rolling at almost 1300 pounds gross weight without a passenger.

My gripe is the lack of choices in tires that will meet spec. Pretty much all that is out there now that I would have is the Dunlop E3 Bias. I liked the Michelin Pilot Sport, but they discontinued it a few years back. Dunlop wears better anyway. I fucking HATE Metzler tires and will never have another one....on anything!

And yes, it is a Honda, so it cups the shit out of rear tires...:lol: sometimes even cups the front if you push the mileage far enough.

Developed a small oil leak right after 100K that I still have to trace down....coming from the front somewhere. Found it after extended riding through hurricane level downpour a couple weekends ago. Small drip but I'm OCD about oil leaks....

Edited by Warp11XX

Although the lift table is nice, there are other ways.

With the shock shim, I can't just pull my XX tire rearward. 

i have done two different work around so.

1st, a pretty long 2x6, ride the bike on it.  helpers put smaller 2x6 under each side of center stand.  Pull the bike onto the stand, then removed the board from under the tires. The rear is now high enough to remove the tire. 

I could have done it without the center board if I was as strong as N1k.

The next time, I really rednecked it.

I put the bike on the center stand with the rear tire off the pavement, over grass.

A few scoops of my shovel, and I had a nice hole to lower my rear down for removal.

Grass grows fast, and I'm cheap.

Edited by redxxrdr
  • Upvote 2