CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB: BIG SCREEN TV

The replacement TV I put in my Mom's house went all weird and is no longer usable.

So she needs a TV.  And here's what I'm thinking.

If any of you techno guys and gals have been jonesing for a new smart fancy-assed tv but just haven't come up with a good enough excuse, well here ya go.

I want a big TV for my mom.  She doesn't need USB ports, wireless access,  SD slots, Roku, Netflicks, Origami, picture in picture, an ice dispensor, or Obama.  Okay, that slipped in there.  She watches soaps, the weather channel, and an occasional baseball or football game.  Doesn't play DVD's, doesn't want to learn anything more than on, channel up/down, and volume up/down. Her cable provider finally has HD on some channels.

If you've got a big flat screen that you'd like to replace, now's the time.  Flat panel only, with a stand.  Her living room is limited and rearranging it is not a good option right now. She sits 20-24 feet from the TV, which is why I want a large one. When the 50 inch broke (thanks again, Dave) I replaced it with a 37 inch that looked absolutely tiny. Now that's broke and I think she'll see better with bigger.

I don't mind a drive, but I can't do more than a few hundred miles from northeast Pennsylvania.  Let me know whatcha got and how much. I got parts to trade, too if that's an interest.  Craigslist has plenty of TV's for sale by people I don't know. I'd much rather get something from people I trust.

Thanks!

I just went though buying a new TV and before you fork over for a used one take a look at the Vizio E series as long as she uses cable/Satellite as they do not have a tuner. Still a bit pricey but have a hell of a good picture. Or even one of there 1080P from last year. Vizio has came a long way in the last few years.

Joe, for what you can get a basic flat screen TV for these days, it ain't worth driving "a few hundred miles" for anything but a free TV. The wife bought a 42" 780p from Amazon earlier this year for $320, delivered (stand included). It's short on features but would easily meet your stated needs, for slightly more you'd be in the 50" range. TV's have gotten stupid cheap, have you shopped around a bit? 

Off topic, remember when a 27" was a "big screen"?

14 hours ago, Redbird said:

Joe, for what you can get a basic flat screen TV for these days, it ain't worth driving "a few hundred miles" for anything but a free TV. The wife bought a 42" 780p from Amazon earlier this year for $320, delivered (stand included). It's short on features but would easily meet your stated needs, for slightly more you'd be in the 50" range. TV's have gotten stupid cheap, have you shopped around a bit? 

Off topic, remember when a 27" was a "big screen"?

I certainly remember when a 27" unit was a big TV, especially when I had a color 13" TV in my first apartment and thought it was great!

Joe,

Just to give you an idea on pricing here in S Florida 

48" 1080P LED HDTV  -  $199.88

55" ProScan 1080P LED HDTV  -  $299.88

65" Quasar 1080P LED HDTV  -  $499.88

65" Phillips 4K UHD Smart TV w/Wi-Fi  -  $898.88

http://brandsmart.shoplocal.com/brandsmart/weeklyad?storeid=2566236#!/promotion?storeid=2566236&languageid=1&pagenumber=1&mode=bbpsingle

I was in mind of 55-65 inch spending around $200. With the 37 inch she was bringing a chair out from the kitchen to set it closer to the TV. 

The cut-off seems to be around 43 inches where prices start to balloon.  For another hundred you can get this, for another hundred you can get that...etc.

Sometimes there are good deals on Slickdeals, other times its pretty dry.  I don't have time to sit around and wait.  I guess its just pony up twice the money and get it done with.  I've shopped at walmart and for what they have in stock, its well into $600's for anything the size of which I'd consider.

Still, it was worth a shot, eh?

Well, it's all about how much you want to spend.  When I bought my TV, LED was outrageous so I went with a 1080p 120hz LCD Vizio.  I also bought the Squaretrade warranty.  After about 18 months it took a dump, and the repair guy came to my house and replaced the power supply and the motherboard.  The repairs alone were the price of the TV.  Since then, no problems, and it's been about 5 years.  My parents bought a 1080p 120hz LED Samsung  Smart TV and it's got a huge grey/green shadow in it that shows up horribly when the screen is white, but I see it all the time with my eagle eyes.  They aren't concerned with it, but I have Squaretrade on it too, so eventually I'm just going to have them go repair it whether they want it fixed or not.  What I'm getting at is BUY THE WARRANTY!

best buy has 4-5 55" tvs under 500 and if you go for an open box even less.

One day it will bite me in the ass but so far I have saved well over the cost of the last tv I purchased in never taking out extended warranty on anything. If they make it past the 1-3 year manufacturing time they should be good to go.

• 3 weeks later...