CBR1100XX.org Forum

cruise problem

OMG

I finally got around to installing the Audio-vox cruise but I can't get it to engage.

All tests check out correct except the coil input. In other words, all connections are correct, the led in the servo light up per the check list except the blue wire input.

Blue is connected to the ground from left side coil. All connections have been soldered and test ok.

Installed is the PC II and a tail light modulator. A relay has been wired in to compensate for the modulator.

Purple is wired into the relay.

With the increase of blue and red lights I need a way to keep this thing under a hundred.

Did you fix your problem?  

Do you have the servo module programmed for coil input?  Switches in the rear o f the servo.

I have mine disconnected at the coil due to ignition problems that were coming from the module.  

A newer manual, that I downloaded, showed a filter between the coil and the sensor wire.  Mine did not come with one so many years ago.

I suspect that it is just a blocking cap.  

I will get a new servo and reinstall in the future.

Thanks, not fixed yet. There is a filter in the coil wire, noise suppression it says. My next step is removing that.

Yes, according to the manual, all the dip switches are correct. We have tried switching them to no avail.

Hard to believe the servo is bad, it's old but still new never been used.

Where are you getting a servo?

Did you install a vacuum can? I had problems with mine until I did that. Still not perfect, but it works well enough.

Super hawk posted this link in my cruise gotcha thread.
I haven't ordered one yet,  tire came first.
  • Members
  • 3,465 posts
  • Interests:Boats, cars, bikes, guns, chicks, going fast.....
  • Other Bikes:'01 Bird. '06 Ducati 999s.

You could buy a new servo assembly here http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=422 and be plug & play repaired for $80.

2 hours ago, RXX said:

Did you install a vacuum can? I had problems with mine until I did that. Still not perfect, but it works well enough.

I did install one

The problem is that according to the red led in the servo, everything checks ok except for the coil input

With most ignition systems the coil gets constant power and the ground side is the one that fires the coil: any chance the bird is wired backwards?  I've never paid attention to its wiring.  Or any chance you tapped into the wrong wire?  If it has constant ground and is positive fired the cruise wouldn't see the fluctuations it's looking for.

I read the manual for my audiovox cruise I've had sitting around, I assume it's the same model (something 100 I think).  The manual made it seem like the ignition signal might be optional, but maybe not.  It talks about setting it to use the ignition signal in place of a speed sensor signal if desired, but in the installation instructions it doesn't say the ignition signal is optional.  I wanted to install one on my diesel van, but if it needs an ignition signal it won't work unless I install something that gives it an ignition looking signal.

Are these things still sold?  I've had mine a bunch of years, caught them on clearance at Kragen auto parts and bought the last three they had.

You are correct, I tapped the wrong wire. Well, right one according to the diagrams but the wrong one to allow it to function.

Working fine now except it does not remain steady at 45, above that it works!

I'm happy.

Thanks for the help.

Now, if you have any ideas about how to make the ABS work on the GS1150 work :wacko:

Make sure that you programmed the cruise for the highest performance engine setting possible.

plus have some slack in the ball chain at rest.  These will help with surging.  

I started with a small vacuum canister, and went to on the size of a tall beer.  That helped to.

As far as ABS, you could always reverse the pads like the ones on Swampys thread. 😆

Then they will never lock.  😎

3 hours ago, OMG said:

You are correct, I tapped the wrong wire. Well, right one according to the diagrams but the wrong one to allow it to function.

I'm happy.

Thanks for the help.

Now, if you have any ideas about how to make the ABS work on the GS1150 work :wacko:

Sweet, I thought I remembered them being grounded but wasn't sure.

ABS; check your owner's manual, it may give the codes according to the sequence of warning light flashes.  

19 hours ago, OMG said:

I'm happy.

Thanks for the help.

Are you using the RPM in place of a speed signal or both?  I think my manual said you could use just the RPM if desired.

Just using the coil input, it works for the speed limit and that's just fine.

The ABS on the GS is known to be a PITA

• 2 weeks later...