CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is age an issue for Blackbirds?

silverbird1100

my '97 has been well used, the plastics have been replaced twice due to my abundant lack of riding talent, and with 230.000 km its still on the original clutch.

Given that all maintenance has been done by my fumbly fingers over the last 200.000km plus, I would say that age is NOT an issue. The XX is reliable as a hammer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I bought a '97 then an '01.  Both had spend time outside and on their sides, both had 50k plus miles, neither had issues other than some fading and broken tool straps.

20 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

I'll be replacing the brake lines and suspension, bike only has 10K on it and appears to have no sun fading.  I'm most likely picking it up Thursday

when you get to tires, replace the valve stems too.

I have had them fail on my 86 Magna, and 2001 SV and XX.

you will reach down to check pressure one day and it will just break off.

Eddy steered me to aluminum ones fromKurveygirl  No rubber for Ozone to destroy.

I also had the vacuum lines from the throttle bodies crack.  There are silicon replacements available, cheap.

Edited by redxxrdr
Link
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

big plus on the valve stems. 

the angled aluminum ones are awesome, shame more bikes dont just come with them. 

+1  I discovered their existence when I got a Ducati, I think they're standard issue, and they're the shit.

32 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Just to nick pick, they must have rubber to seal.       So you are saying that I should change my factory ones on my 94 and 97?:D

They of course have an o-ring, it seals from inside so is not exposed to the elements.

I did need to modify one to fit a rim, can't remember which bike, but yes they are the "shit".

I've got a a 97 with 126k miles on it. It has seen a fair bit of sun, but I try to keep it out of the rain. It's not MINT by any standards, but people still are impressed with the age and it's shape. If the one you are looking at has not been neglected, you should be fine (assuming you aren't too OCD). 

Pretty much what others are saying. 

At some point in a couple decades replacement parts will become hard to find.

Of course by then we'll just print a new part with our desktop stereolithography/3D printer setup.

My CBX is getting harder to find parts for - reasonably priced that is.

• 1 year later...

I wonder what happened to that '99? I was all set to buy a different '99 until my friend brought that up and I totally did a 180.  Hopefully he won't mind be quoting him here but it really will make the difference between be buying on this weekend or not

"Just from personal experience in less than a year of ownership of a nicely taken care of '99.... get ready for old-bike stuff. On mine, anything rubber is to deteriorate when disturbed, among other little things starting to go, from the donuts in the valve cover bolts, to air valves snapping off at a slight brush."

Edited by silverbird1100

5 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

Are you guys with garaged birds having any problems like that?

I have one of the oldest Birds and still have the factory tool kit strap, rad hoses, etc.  I wouldn't buy a bike that lived outside from anywhere but places like Arizona would be the worst.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

I have one of the oldest Birds and still have the factory tool kit strap, rad hoses, etc.  I wouldn't buy a bike that lived outside from anywhere but places like Arizona would be the worst.

A garage queen would be ideal.  I'd take an outside bike from Az long before one from a rain/snow/freeze area.  In fact I did, my 2001 obviously spent a shit load of time outside in Phoenix.  The faded frame paint pretty much tells the tale, and other sun baked things confirm it.  But I'm less afraid of cosmetic damage than actual damage like corrosion so to each his own.  As far as coolant hoses go, if them living outside in hot weather scares you, you must be shitting yourself over the 200+ temps they see on a ride.