CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear brake caliper

Dotetcher

Rear brake caliper on my '97 xx is dragging a bit more than usual. Has been for a while. I'm changing tires now and putting new pads in while i'm at it. What the easiest/best method for cleaning the pistons in the caliper. Hard to get at.

It would be best to pop the pistons out and do a good cleaning.  This may be beyond what you want/can do so a fluid change and pumping the pistons in & out might be a decent alternative.  Also manually pump the linked brake master at the left fork to flush clean fluid through it and clean it out some.  Make sure you don't let a piston pop out of the caliper while you're pumping if you're not prepared to bleed the system.

External cleaning will do nothing for them and brake cleaner could harm the rubber and paint.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Dotetcher said:

Tried using brake clean. Visually did little. Just pushing pistons back in and install new pads has done the trick.

That might be a short term fix, flush the fluid.  You can simply open the bleeder and let gravity do the work, as long as you don't let the master run dry you won't have any battles.  Let the fluid run low before you add more so the old stuff gets out of there.  Then keep up on doing it regularly and you should be good.

2 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

That might be a short term fix, flush the fluid.  You can simply open the bleeder and let gravity do the work, as long as you don't let the master run dry you won't have any battles.  Let the fluid run low before you add more so the old stuff gets out of there.  Then keep up on doing it regularly and you should be good.

that's how i do it too, too easy, i even get a syringe and remove most of the old stuff from the master and top up with clean stuff first.

is there an easy way to get the clutch master level so i can bleed it?

6 hours ago, paul99xx said:

that's how i do it too, too easy, i even get a syringe and remove most of the old stuff from the master and top up with clean stuff first.

is there an easy way to get the clutch master level so i can bleed it?

It doesn't need to be level unless you've got air trapped in it.  If you need to, center stand the bike then tilt it and slip something under the left foot of the stand.