CBR1100XX.org Forum

2000 vs 2001 birds

ptxyz

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

RON is Research Octane Number which is one of the measurement systems, the other is motor octane.  When you look at the sticker on a pump you'll see that the octane is (R+M)/2 which is an average of the research octane and motor octane to give a total knock index (TKI) number and 91RON is generally equivalent to 87 at the pump in the US.  There's no reason to use any higher octane in a stock motor unless you like lower MPG, less power, and increased combustion by products.

From memory a basic breakdown of the octane measurements is that research octane measures the resistance to detonation at low RPM use like airplane engines and motor octane is the resistance to detonation at high RPM.  This is why aviation gas has high numbers while being cheaper than race gas and those who mistakingly use AV gas in place of race gas in a hot rod to save money wind up buying new engines.

thanks for that explanation.  i was under the impression that 87 was ok to use in all birds and then noticed this sticker.

my 02 honda owners manual recommends 86 or higher for the bike. (pg. 91) 

I only have 87 around here, PCIIIr is also tuned to run 87

if you really want a kick in the pants, go get some real gas. So sad what ethanol gas does to our performance. 

10 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

if you really want a kick in the pants, go get some real gas. So sad what ethanol gas does to our performance. 

Like this? Nitrous system

No, just some good old fashioned 100% gasoline. 

I found some last year after over a decade of ethanol crap. 

Within 5 or 6 miles the bike started to run smoother, throttle response crisper and could actually feel the difference. In 6th gear I could slow down to 20 mph and just roll on the throttle back up to speed. 

Ran that tank down, filled up again same day and bike got buzzy after 5 or 6 miles. Slowing down to 20 in 6th gear rolling on the throttle she stumbled some getting back up to speed. 

Really opened my eyes of just how bad that little bit of ethanol effects performance. 

there was a test a while back in one of the brit bike mags that tested premium vs regular gas in the bird and a few other bikes.  All the bikes made more power with the premium and the bird was 2 or 3 hp stronger.  I think with the knock sensors in the bird allowed it to take advantage of the higher octane and run a little more aggressive timing.  I really wish ethanol would just go away as it causes vehicles to get noticeably worse fuel mileage as well as drivability issues in some(especially older) vehicles.  At least in my neck of the woods our premium is 100% gas and top tire certified as well.

Ethanol in 'gas' is a definite no-no for ALL my vehicles. I don't know the science behind it much, but i get better mileage in every vehicle i run it in. The cars as much as 10-15%. I liked to run the '97 low in the rpms, it just seemed to like the higher octane better for that bottom grunt when luggin up a mountain. I was always under the assumption that when running a hi-compression engine, its safer to run a higher octane (less explosive?) for fear of detonation. Add some carbon buildup or miles and it becomes more a worry. Who knows, i may be wasting my money on hi-grade, but the local station offers low and hi grade in non-ethanol... I choose the latter. Most dangerous for my engine is probably the loose nut behind the tank but in front of the seat.

that's right, silverbird.  they're in the mid-pipe just upstream of the cans.  my '01 has remus slip-ons that are a bit rough (scratched) from old downs.  i'm wondering how much of that scratching could be buffed out.

i'm going to try the o2 sensor delete, have the plug on order.

as i recall, only a few places to get non-ethanol locally so that's not a very practical option for me.

4 hours ago, Hooplehead said:

Ethanol in 'gas' is a definite no-no for ALL my vehicles. I don't know the science behind it much, but i get better mileage in every vehicle i run it in. The cars as much as 10-15%. I liked to run the '97 low in the rpms, it just seemed to like the higher octane better for that bottom grunt when luggin up a mountain. I was always under the assumption that when running a hi-compression engine, its safer to run a higher octane (less explosive?) for fear of detonation. Add some carbon buildup or miles and it becomes more a worry. Who knows, i may be wasting my money on hi-grade, but the local station offers low and hi grade in non-ethanol... I choose the latter. Most dangerous for my engine is probably the loose nut behind the tank but in front of the seat.

High test also leads to more buildup so....

2 hours ago, ptxyz said:

that's right, silverbird.  they're in the mid-pipe just upstream of the cans.  my '01 has remus slip-ons that are a bit rough (scratched) from old downs.  i'm wondering how much of that scratching could be buffed out.

i'm going to try the o2 sensor delete, have the plug on order.

as i recall, only a few places to get non-ethanol locally so that's not a very practical option for me.

Since the O2 signal is ignored under heavy throttle I don't see the point in deleting it.  It should keep the mixture at an ideal level from idle to medium load which will maximize mileage and minimize carbon.  Unless you know that it helps it's foolish to delete it.  If you still have the cats you'll want to remove them before removing the O2s or they'll probably get killed and then become a restriction as they carbon up.

• 2 weeks later...

little update.  i installed some dry-break fuel line connectors and had a look at the air cleaner...

nasty!  a bit surprising as the rest of the bike was in such good condition but, perhaps not so much as what a pain in the butt to remove the tank without those connectors.

air filter's on order but, a good vacuuming and shake out seemed to help.

o2 sensor's gone and that's helped noticeably with the low end throttle response and smoothness.  front end actually got some air time as i entered the freeway in 2nd...

got a decent deal on a pc3 so that should be on in a few weeks.

i'll report back as i knock off these bike chores.

• Upvote 1

If it power lifted in 2nd it's got some friggin balls.

Mine won't lift in 2nd with stock or the full Yoshi exhaust.  Other than a K&N and suspension it's stock.  I've only done runs with one other XX and mine was quicker at the lower RPM pulls at least, not sure how they compared up high but I think he had a slight edge; this was before I Yoshied it which lost a little of the low and gained some high according to the assometer.

13 hours ago, SR71BLACKBIRDXX said:

I swore my 99 was faster than my 02. Had the 99 dynoed at 142 hp. The operator overlayed my run with 4 other BB's, and mine was the highest. Stock except for 2 Bros slip ons. Never dynoed my 02, but definitely felt softer. 

Still plenty fast though

My '01 dynoed at 139 bone stock.

I heard it theorized here long ago that the carbies had more of a dip at 5k and thus seemed to pull harder when they came back on.

6 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

try twisting the throttle more you limp wrist..

cool crisp mornings mine will loft the front going up into 3rd

Now you're just fucking with me...3rd, no way.  Unless it's geared way down and modded up.  My '97 wouldn't power lift in second either, it was bone stock.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Now you're just fucking with me...3rd, no way.  Unless it's geared way down and modded up.  My '97 wouldn't power lift in second either, it was bone stock.

My '97 pops up on an energetic gearchange 1st to 2nd, and will come up with a tug on the bars. And thats at 1700m above sea level. I reckon that a trip to the coast is warranted now

4 hours ago, brianmacza said:

My '97 pops up on an energetic gearchange 1st to 2nd, and will come up with a tug on the bars. And thats at 1700m above sea level. I reckon that a trip to the coast is warranted now

I can see that happening, but not a power wheelie--just on the gas, no clutching or tugging and it lifts in 2nd or 3rd.  Assuming it hasn't been re-jetted for the altitude you should get a noticeable boost.  If it's been jetted it may loose power and could be hazardous to the engine as it'll be lean.

33 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Cool crisp mornings it will lift 3rd all throttle. Has surprised me a few times. 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. 

We're talking nothing but throttle? No clutch? No whacking it? That's a pretty bold statement right there. 1st, no prob. 2nd, maybe. Needs to be a little rise in the road or something. 3rd, no dice. Maybe with Ben riding bitch and zero preload. 

• Upvote 1

Just throttle

It won't do it right now in this muggy weather. But in the cooler months when its about 50 deg. Out.

Done it a handful of times leaving my house. 1st gear out onto road, catch second and hit the 35mph turn at corner of my property at 65-70mph come out of corner run 2nd to about 10k and click up into 3rd and continue hammering away to next turn. Not slipping clutch to lift it. 

Wanna ride it?