CBR1100XX.org Forum

Temporarily propping car window up

Nova Scotia Mike

Yesterday in driveway I went to roll power windows up in 99 Grand Cheroke, there was an unpleasant noise from pass window and it dropped 6 inches. Motor makes noise when switch is pressed and window doesn't move. I take panel off door and it looks like cable fixture on window regulator is broken. I can manually slide window up and down in track.

Can't get a new regulator until tomorrow but were supposed to take vehicle camping tonight.

How is it best that I temporarily "lock" window in closed/up tot the top position for a few days?

Any/all ideas and suggestions appreciated. 

Pushi it up and duct tape it in place, or gorilla tape as it's semi transparent. If you have some wood shims hanging around jam one in between the window and gasket inside the car, the friction should hold it in place. 

• Upvote 1

If you already have the door panel off, I would suggest cutting a piece of scrap wood to fit between a solid place in the door and the bottom of the glass, even if you have to put one all the way to the very bottom of the door.  You can attach screws through existing holes in the metal into the wood, or make new ones since the door panel will hide whatever hole you drill.  It might rattle, but at least you know it's not going to fall.  If you've got a pool noodle or soft foam, you could duct tape that to the end of the board that is pressing against the glass to cut down on movement further.

• Upvote 1

furbird's solution sounds like what i had to do on my mercedes.  instead of wood, i used a piece of pvc with a notched end to fit the bottom of the window and zip tied it to the broken regulator.

All great suggestions, thanks folks. I was concerned about breaking the glass. I duct taped it up around the top of the door frame with a rag between the frame and the tape to protect the paint. That got me to work where I was able to track down a new regulator. Had it delivered to work, then had Jeep and part picked up by shop, installed and delivered back to me at work.

Get home after work and camping departure is delayed until tomorrow due to weather. Bah. Coulda stuck it in myself.