CBR1100XX.org Forum

easy peg lowering

ptxyz

2 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I have just the opposite goal. A peg highering kit??

Same here, I wound up installing some Gille's and have them at max height.  I assume you could do the same as in the photo but upwards.

5 hours ago, ptxyz said:

wish i could take credit for this but, here's how a bird rider from hungary did it.

2016-06-23 08.29.26.jpg

Smart simple solution, and thanks for sharing it.

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Are you 4' 2" or Nicky Haden?  My knees are killing me after a hour. The lower the better for me.

6', maybe a hair shy.  It's never bothered my knees, I ran the Ducati at max raised also and wished for more.  Low pegs kill my back, the higher the better for me.  When I first got the bike it had a raised seat and Buel pegs and it was murder, stock stuff worked ok, the raised pegs are great.  I let my friend ride it a few times and his knees were unhappy.  I rode my friend's Nighthawk 750 and within minutes I could tell it wasn't gonna work for me.  I lowered the pegs on a friend's SV650 and it was suddenly uncomfortable for me to ride, but at 6'4"ish and having some knee issues he was delighted.  Oddly my enduro is perfectly fine for me.

9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I wonder if a large rider put a lot of weight on one peg, if it would crack the bracket ear?   When it is in the normal position, I would think that the load would be spread out more. 

It's gonna compromise the strength of both the peg and mount.  Whether it breaks or not depends on how much extra strength was built into the design and how much one weighs.  If I were to do this mod I would test them with my full body weight on each one individually, if it passes that it should be fine in normal use.

I would be seriously afraid of a failure that way. They designed the dual tabs for a reason. 

Also, for me, the bar risers on my bird will be swaped back to the oem clip ons. With a 36" sleeve length reach isnt a problem for me. I think the stockers may be more comfy, and offer better control. We'll see....

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

6', maybe a hair shy.  It's never bothered my knees, I ran the Ducati at max raised also and wished for more.  Low pegs kill my back, the higher the better for me.  When I first got the bike it had a raised seat and Buel pegs and it was murder, stock stuff worked ok, the raised pegs are great.  I let my friend ride it a few times and his knees were unhappy.  I rode my friend's Nighthawk 750 and within minutes I could tell it wasn't gonna work for me.  I lowered the pegs on a friend's SV650 and it was suddenly uncomfortable for me to ride, but at 6'4"ish and having some knee issues he was delighted.  Oddly my enduro is perfectly fine for me.

There is no universal solution. Ya gotta try it to know. When i bought my CBR1000RR last year I was concerned it would not be doable. Right after I did 5 hours on a ride to Indy and it was fine.

Build core strength, stretch, and build knee/leg strength.

10 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

There is no universal solution. Ya gotta try it to know. When i bought my CBR1000RR last year I was concerned it would not be doable. Right after I did 5 hours on a ride to Indy and it was fine.

Build core strength, stretch, and build knee/leg strength.

Core strength and posture I believe are my biggest issues, and my general spine issues associated with having pretty noticeable scoliosis.

16 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I would be seriously afraid of a failure that way. They designed the dual tabs for a reason. 

Also, for me, the bar risers on my bird will be swaped back to the oem clip ons. With a 36" sleeve length reach isnt a problem for me. I think the stockers may be more comfy, and offer better control. We'll see....

what kind are they? 

I been looking at some Dan moto risers after riding Icepicks bike coming back from Nexxt 

Not sure. At Wixx, I think Hobbie thought they were helibars. They were on the bike when I bought it. At the last minute I asked and the po found the stockers. Need to bolt them up when I do the next round of front end work and givem a try.

If I remember I will post a pic this week. They are ok for cruising but not ideal for me when handling.

6 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

what kind are they? 

I been looking at some Dan moto risers after riding Icepicks bike coming back from Nexxt 

Would like to hear a little more about this Dan Moto bar.

Pretty cool discovery by a little Hungarian, I wasn't aware Fuzz was back on an XX!?:o

that are bad ass bars, great adjustment options. I sat on icepicks bike and it was amazing comfy. I mean silly stupid comfy. Which is a good thing as he rode for 14hrs that day getting back home. 

I looked them up and are only $100, just never really bought them... I slack off a lot

https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/adjustable-billet-clip-on-s-wholesale-113.html?zenid=aa92a9234ebbfda936722b11f9749047

Edited by The Krypt Keeper

They are nice for the adjustment options.  But everything is a pinch bolt connection, which is unnerving to me.  Best practice would probably be to use them to find the perfect geometry, then have someone weld them - or at least tack them.  Better yet, have them make a new welded aluminum set from scratch based on your final adjustments.

*edit*. IIRC, you can buy them direct fromDanMoto online and pay whatever they're asking plus shipping.  Or, you can buy them on their eBay store and get the same price as direct but with free shipping.  At least that was the deal when I bought mine, maybe worth checking on if you're in the market.

Edited by IcePrick

17 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Thanks for the link, never heard of Dan Moto and they have exhaust cans for the Bird for cheap.

The same stuff has been all over Ebay for quite some time, just cheap China stuff.  I'd compare their prices then buy from the cheapest source.

On 6/25/2016 at 9:35 PM, XXBirdSlapper said:

I recommend filing off the locating tab and rotating/spreading the bars out. Just to the point where the levers contact the bodywork at full steer. Much more comfortable at 6'5"

• Upvote 1