CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB: The Boating Accident was too severe

(forgive the "play" on some of the threads in the Pub)

At the title says, the boating accident a few years ago when I moved overseas was a little too severe. Looking for a "long" hammer, in the 22-250ish (308 absolute max) range for coyote control.. really... I spotted one in the fields behind FarmXX yesterday so they're coming back and they deserve the love that only a long-hammer can deliver. Fortunately the cattle ran this one off, and my mini-donkeys are pretty good at coyote control, but I'd like to be able to lend a hand with an accurate "hammer". So if anyone has anything you're thinking about sending overboard, please PM me. No FFLs involved...  

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

.308 original Win. mag.?

...reach out and touch something.

300 WM?  338WM?  I really like those calibers... a lot...  

As this isn't a hunt to harvest for meat need, and total destruction is OK, any WM is probably overkill and probably the 308 is also...  

But if you're looking to unload, one can never have too many hammers... 

44 minutes ago, SoCalBird said:

shrug just get a .17 cal and a night vision scope for the same price as a way over kill gun for coyotes

I really like the fast and flat, but ideally want something with a little more punch... unless you're selling one... 

.243 or 22-250 are the ideal calibers...  but just seeing what's out there... 

That's exactly what this old man doesn't need... a 300-400ish grain cartridge for a coyote. My shoulder hurts just thinking abut it... 

Sell a GUN lol

I have only sold 2 one was a 12 ga to my brother when I got the Vepr and a mosin to the guy that lives next door he was drooling and I never used it so I sold it for what I paid and that was because I like the guy.

4 hours ago, FarmerXX said:

I really like the fast and flat, but ideally want something with a little more punch... unless you're selling one... 

.243 or 22-250 are the ideal calibers...  but just seeing what's out there... 

A few on my likely to sell list: .22 Magnum bolt action, Ruger .44Mag. RS carbine,  MAS 49 in .308, Ruger .338 WinMag.  All will take a yote, the latter 3 with extra authority.  All are paper trail free.  All but the 308 are going out to play tomorrow, didn't have the desire to load up .308s and only have about 15 left.

On June 21, 2016 at 8:17 PM, XXitanium said:

.308 original Win. mag.?

...reach out and touch something.

Just too big for regular game in nothern WI.

I don't believe a .308 win mag exists.  There is the .308 Norma Mag, first high power gun I shot back around 1990ish and I may just buy it now that it's become available to me.  There may be some other .308 mag variants I don't know about.

Paper trail free on the Left Coast... Good for you. The .22WM usually pushes what, a 35 - 40gr? Maybe a bit on the light side, but would work. 

The MAS in 308.. Do you know who did the conversion?  I hear some were excellent, most were crappy. I just don't know  the French firearm... but one day I hope to get some range time with one.. I really like the 308 as my GHOOD and all purpose round. 

The 338WM, what's it in? 77 series? Perfect for my elk hunt that probably won't happen. I honestly don't know if I can load it light enough to not punish this old man every time I squeezed the trigger... 

When the time comes, the big 'un and / or the little 'un  (.22WM / .338WM) are probably two I'd consider taking off your hands... Hell, I need to rebuild a hammer collection.. I'll consider anything with a purpose.. I'll PM you my info..  

Hard to beat a 22-250 hammer for that particular need, 

The hmr .17 hammer is also amazing with some ballistic tip nails. Read of 1,000 yard hits on prairie dogs. But its so light cross winds throw off the nails easily. But still very effective. 

22-250 would still be my go to for what you are looking to do. 

Or just bite the bullet (pun intended]

.338 laupua 

But guess that would be like hitting a roofing nail with a 20lb sledge hammer

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FarmerXX said:

Paper trail free on the Left Coast... Good for you. The .22WM usually pushes what, a 35 - 40gr? Maybe a bit on the light side, but would work. 

The MAS in 308.. Do you know who did the conversion?  I hear some were excellent, most were crappy. I just don't know  the French firearm... but one day I hope to get some range time with one.. I really like the 308 as my GHOOD and all purpose round. 

The 338WM, what's it in? 77 series? Perfect for my elk hunt that probably won't happen. I honestly don't know if I can load it light enough to not punish this old man every time I squeezed the trigger... 

When the time comes, the big 'un and / or the little 'un  (.22WM / .338WM) are probably two I'd consider taking off your hands... Hell, I need to rebuild a hammer collection.. I'll consider anything with a purpose.. I'll PM you my info..  

I have no unregistered hammers, nothing here to see; it's So.Cal. for fuck's sake!

I've only shot 40gr. CCI hollow points, but there are 35s too.  The box says they do 1875FPS, my chrono says they only do about 1875ish out of my gun.  I put it on paper today for the first time and only second time shooting it.  100yrds. with the stock irons and made 4 or 5 out of 10 on a 3" sticker; I was pretty pleased.  Hit some steel about 4" wide at 200 which was amazing.

I have the papers on the MAS here somewhere, but don't recall the specifics.  I read that they can be ammo finicky favoring the lighter 7.62X51 and disliking .308.  I loaded up 50 rnds. from min to max 7.62 book loads with some cheap bulk powder and bullets and also bought some .308 and it shot them all with no issue.  Can't speak to accuracy as I was just shooting stuff we brought out to the desert, but it functioned and shot well.  It was definitely hitting within minute of can/bottle/rock/cactus from up close to kinda far so it's confirmed to be dead on accurate!  I cranked the sight up to 400 meters and shot some stuff way up on a hill and hit it too.  Haven't been able to test the grenade launcher for accuracy, but at least it's all intact.

The .338 is a 77 as you suspected, Mark2 stainless on a beautiful wood stock.  I have a love/hate relationship with it.  It's beautiful and bad ass, but punishing if loaded to full power.  My GF shot it last weekend and scoped herself, got some blood.  Today I scoped myself for the first time ever, just a tap on the nose to let me know I needed to get a better position; I knew I was in a bad position but figured it would be ok.  I'm also trying out a Chinese scope that has short eye relief, the scope it came with is likely better suited and will probably go back on.  I talked to an old timer today at the range, he uses lighter bullets in his and it hits more acceptably while still reaching out to 500+ pretty well.  I've been shooting 200 and 250 gr. bullets loaded somewhat hot and it hurts.  It's got about 70 rnds. through it now.  I have no hunting plans and just wanted a scoped rifle to do some semi long range target shooting with and this fell into my lap so I grabbed it.  It can be loaded down but I thought I wanted to swing the big sledge.

5 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Hard to beat a 22-250 hammer for that particular need, 

The hmr .17 hammer is also amazing with some ballistic tip nails. Read of 1,000 yard hits on prairie dogs. But its so light cross winds throw off the nails easily. But still very effective. 

22-250 would still be my go to for what you are looking to do. 

Or just bite the bullet (pun intended]

.338 laupua 

But guess that would be like hitting a roofing nail with a 20lb sledge hammer

The guy next to me today was shooting a braked Lapua, fucking asshole.  He was actually a really nice guy, but FUCK.

• Upvote 1

.338 Lapua...  I'm thinking that on a coyote would be a bit of a "reverse Kingsman" (from the movie.  In the movie, the head colorfully disappeared and the body dropped... A .338 Lapua on a coyote?  Damn.. nothing left of it..   Or nothing left of the 50+ year old shoulder firing it...  Dave isn't a very nice man to recommend that caliber to an old Tennessee farmer...  :P

The Ruger M77 sounds like a beautiful rifle...  I'll come visit when you're hating it B)

I'm sorry about you and your GF getting scoped... It's happened to nearly all of us... I think I've been able to avoid it only because I don't have enough scope time with the big calibers and I preferred iron sights before my eyes decided to get old... 

So you guys have me thinking about a 300WM and a 338WM.. That's a long way from a 22-250..   I think the old(er) farmers around here would pick on poor me with such big bullets... "Damn Junior...  they're only 'cuyotes.... you compensating for something?"

You can build an AR for a song these days. Put one together on the cheap or find a decent complete one. Then you can upgrade if you want a better barrel/trigger etc.

37 minutes ago, RichardCranium said:

You can build an AR for a song these days. Put one together on the cheap or find a decent complete one. Then you can upgrade if you want a better barrel/trigger etc.

You're right.. I know you're right... I'm admitting you're right... and it's a decent caliber for my needs...  I only need to be spot on out to 200ish yards... 

But farmers don't tote ARs in their trucks!

But it's something I've thought about.. 

I was anti-AR for a long time, mostly because the fan boys were obnoxious.  I stumbled onto an old school classic 20" Colt and bought it.  Then I went on to make an 80% 16" flat top.  Then I stumbled onto another old Colt 20" that I traded to my best friend who was also anti-AR but liked the classic style as well.  I like that they're easy to build however one wants.  I haven't become a fan boy, but have started to appreciate the platform; mostly because I can make as many as I want without a paper trail.

19 hours ago, FarmerXX said:

You're right.. I know you're right... I'm admitting you're right... and it's a decent caliber for my needs...  I only need to be spot on out to 200ish yards... 

But farmers don't tote ARs in their trucks!

But it's something I've thought about.. 

What the fuck state are you living in? I see AR-type guns in trucks around here all the time.

Dude, you have neighbors in line of sight - you dont need big bang guns. .17 or .22mag is what you should get.  

(and you know my record on being right)

1 hour ago, racer212 said:

I see AR-type guns in trucks around here all the time.

By mall ninjas and posers and wannabes...  You do live in "the City," right?

Dude, you have neighbors in line of sight - you dont need big bang guns. .17 or .22mag is what you should get.  

The hill is my backstop... so I can reasonably shoot anything... The coyotes come from behind.. and there is nothing but farms and trees forever...  

But no to the big bang... 22-250 or 243 class firearm.. Needs to be fast and flat and punch hard due to the winds swirling around and over the hill. 

Plus, there's just something about a great  barrel on a beautiful wood stock...  I can appreciate the ARs for their utility and versatility.. .  but they have no soul... I digress... if one comes available, I'll grab it as it will serve it's purpose... 

(and you know my record on being right)

I know you're record... and what you think your record is...

You and Zero are kindred spirits and that's why you two wanted some alone time at SeXXt before I brought the other guys over :P

Edited by FarmerXX
  • Downvote 1

Some you sound like fucking liberals with your feels and shit. It's a tool, if you resent its appearance you're buying into the bullshit that's being sold by those who oppose your right to own that tool.

You want a gun that gives you the warm and fuzzies, go for it, I have more than couple. But dismissing a proven effective platform because of it's image is more than a little fucked up coming from this crowd.

For the record, an 18-20" AR in .223 would suit your purposes perfectly, and no, I ain't selling, but say the word and I'll build you an upper that will do the job.