CBR1100XX.org Forum

Paint

blackhawkxx

Took a ride tonight on my 97 and when wiping it down, I noticed that the paint on the stator cover is starting to blister.  The bike has never been in the rain and doesn't sit out in the sun, also, never wrecked. What would cause that?  I am either going to have to find one that is perfect or paint it.  Since it isn't in a very noticeable place, I'm thinking any gloss black would be OK.  What do you think? 

• Upvote 1

Unless you've owned it since new and have never let it out of your sight there's no way to know what may have happened.  As for the paint, you could go to a paint supply place with it and have them color match and blend you up a spray can of an exact match, but likely that any gloss black spray paint would do since you can't see both sides at the same time to see that it doesn't match.  I don't think the temperature there would demand a high temp paint.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Unless you've owned it since new and have never let it out of your sight there's no way to know what may have happened.

Got in 1997 and no one goes into the garage but me.

how in the world have you kept a motorcycle that is almost 20 yrs old out of the rain? 

It is my play bike.  Take it out for a hour or so and it goes back into the garage.  It does have 20K on it though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Got in 1997 and no one goes into the garage but me.

It is my play bike.  Take it out for a hour or so and it goes back into the garage.  It does have 20K on it though.

So, you're saying that you play with yourself. :P

Quite a few of the bad stator pictures have shown them to be pretty well toasted.  Have you checked the output on yours lately?

I've had sap from fir and spruce trees blister the paint on my truck when I didn't notice the droplets in time.

He described the paint as blistered.  Heat and sap have blistered paint on some of my vehicles over my 70 years, but I really have no idea if burnt stators will do it or not.  Just throwing it out there.  Actually one other possibility is bacteria or fungi causing the blistering as they eat away at the aluminum under the finish, according to the FAA.

Just to my untrained eye, I am  guessing that the aluminum oxidized under the paint.  I didn't pick at it as I didn't want the paint to come off.  The winter to spring change makes my garage very damp but if the paint is sealed over the case, it is hard to see how it oxidized.  I may just bite the bullet and buy new to give me another 20 years.  When I get around to it, I may throw a meter on it to check the charging just to rule out that possibility.

This is all news to me.  Of course, I had a lowside that scratched up my stator cover, so I used some manga-steel stuff to fix it up and had to paint it.  So far, the paint job has held with no real discoloration, but the OEM paint did have "spots" at the time.  I presumed they were stains from stuff that splashed on then baked with the heat.

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Just to my untrained eye, I am  guessing that the aluminum oxidized under the paint.  I didn't pick at it as I didn't want the paint to come off.  The winter to spring change makes my garage very damp but if the paint is sealed over the case, it is hard to see how it oxidized.  I may just bite the bullet and buy new to give me another 20 years.  When I get around to it, I may throw a meter on it to check the charging just to rule out that possibility.

I'm surprised you can still buy new black ones?

Hit it with zinc chromate primer first and it could last 20 years under water.  There may be better things out there, but it's the only primer I've used for aluminum as the only aluminum I've painted is for boat outdrives & outboards and that primer is what everyone uses for marine stuff.

I'm 99% sure that the stator couldn't heat it enough to have bubbled the paint even if it fried, there are much hotter parts of the engine and I assume they all get the same paint.  It was most likely flawed from the start or road debris damaged the paint and allowed humidity to start working at it.

• Upvote 1