CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tomschmoe

Totally agree I have a 2002 blackbird great bike headed up to 175 still have throttle and RPM left I'm thinking after I poured out will be 200 plus mile an hour bike oh my any suggestions on where to get my work done at I'm out here in California Lake Elsinore area

If you're looking for an honest 200 mph you're going to need more than a little motor work. FYI, the speedo is way off in the upper range- your 175 indicated is maybe 160 actual.

Ping Slyfoxx, IIRC he's had some extensive motor work done and he's out on the west coast, though considerably north of you.

Either way I know what some motor work and maybe a gear change and a sprocket change this bike will do 200 miles an hour it's a 2002 off the showroom floor does 187 and I haven't done anything to the bike it all except put up 4 and 1 on it actually excuse me I made 4 and 1 out of the pipe that was on it cut the light out and kept it and if I was only doing 160 I still had plenty of throttle left and RPM I am willing to travel or send the motor to get it done right

Just my two cents. I'm not sure what you're thinking of doing is even possible. The motor itself is not very large and if I'm correct the engine block is one material  and a cylinder walls are another because they use a metallic sleeve for the piston wells...based on the last Honda motor I've seen opened up.

Certainly you can rebore the cylinder walls for new piston rings, but I do not know how much you could actually expand the CC rating of each cylinder without compromising the structural integrity of the engine block.

IIRC, it was Northman or Partsman who claimed to have squeezed 200 HP N/A out of a Bird motor.  I think that was massive head-work, 3mm over-bore, very big cams, and as much compression as piston-to-valve clearance would allow.  A street turbo kit would be much more bang for the buck.

As far as doing 187, like Redbird said, your actual MPH was much lower.  Having "some RPM left", when pushing that much air, doesn't mean there is enough power left to use it.

Back in the day.........

191 indicated showed 178 on the GPS on someones 2001 Blackbird with a Akropovic Full race system, Pwr Cmd III and a custom map to increase stock HP of 134.5 to 149.9. Said rider may have been able to get to 186 mph as factory claims but said rider ran out of testicular fortitude. At sea level with high humidity early in the evening along side of the Florida Everglades. But then this may actually may never have happened at all!

Wasn't me,I had 149 hp.

You'll need A LOT OF WORK to break 200,namely nitrous or turbo which require more mods to handle it.A stock speed limiter bypassed ZX14R which are known to put 193 or so to the back wheel has hit 198 with a small guy on it.You'll never get near that on motor.

I just had mine ported and 2mm bigger JE piston installed and shaved the head .0015,hoping to top 160 hp but will have to wait a bit for the dyno session.

I did a search for some of Chris's old build threads.

I came up empty. ☹️

I do remember that he did a lot of work, heads and bore.  I'm pretty sure that he had reached the limits that could be done with the tight cylinder package of our block.  It was an amazing build, but I don't think that he was satisfied with the final results. It worked well, but we always want more power.

To me, a well built turbo engine would give more output, and probably cost less. ( still expensive).

There are a few people on the board who have made turbos work, and others that have failed.

As John said in the pictures thread, Kents bike would show up on the street once in a while, and that thing was supposed to put out almost four times the stock power.

I wonder if "way-back" could find those threads.  I would love to read them again.

• Upvote 1

When you find that " good motor guy" 

Let us know, 

Truth is, its a 20 yr old motorcycle design using some tech that is 25 yrs old or older out of Honda's workshop. 

People here have been there and done it with the XX over the years. But, you seem to suffer from the inability to comprehend reality or know of the work put in by others here over a decade ago to make the XX faster.

Would offer you some advice but sounds like you have all the answers anyways. 

No I don't have all the answers I'm willing to take advice always willing to take advice and gentlemen I believe in my bird I told you I had it up to about 170 still had throttle left and I was still increasing speed when I had to back off some motor work during and sprockets will get me there my speedometer is not that far off I've had a friends of mind clock me with their vet they're better than others Dead on I was within 1 mile an hour of their speedometer biker build off the showroom floor to 187 maybe your guyses speedometers are off the other way and you just don't know it but again I believe my bird and I'll take some advice

I'm a bit shocked that this is being entertained.

Tom, your bike's speedo reads about 10-12% high unless it's been recalibrated (assuming it has stock sprockets) so the 175 you saw was 155ish.  I've been to an indicated 192 on a slightly modded '99 Bird which would calculate to under 170, the truth sucks.  If you're after a 200MPH ride from the Bird it's going to take a fuck ton of engine work or boost.   Boreing it to the maximum that the cylinders allow might get you 10% of the way to your goal.  If you have an unlimited budget you can get there without boost, but boost is probably the only realistic way.  To reach 200MPH you'll need well over 200HP, the cheapest solution would be nitrous.  Based on what I've read I'm glad that you'll likely be doing your speed runs a safe distance south of me.

I don't want to discourage you from enjoying and modding your Bird or being a member here, but you do need to grasp reality and 200MPH is very unlikely for you.  I also suggest paying some amount of attention to your grammar.  You don't have to be a scholar to get along here, but we aren't that usual forum that will understand and entertain gibberish either.  There's a wealth of knowledge and humanitarianism encased in the .org and if you fit in you'll benefit from it.

My old mechanic was talking up regrinding the exhaust cam, he built a blackbird with the exhaust reground, power commander, 4 into 1 and high comp. pistons, said it did power wheelies at 120mp/h.

10 minutes ago, paul99xx said:

My old mechanic was talking up regrinding the exhaust cam, he built a blackbird with the exhaust reground, power commander, 4 into 1 and high comp. pistons, said it did power wheelies at 120mp/h.

At 120 indicated with the likely geared down sprockets, or a true 120?  Regardless it's not indicative of a bike capable of 200MPH.

indicated i think since gps wasn't common place back then. Yes definitely no indication, i was trying to make a positive contribution :)

i don't think it's possible without a turbo.

You get 1195cc out of a 2mm bore.

You'll want an 11.5 compression kit for max power. 

Race cams, not street cams, and you'll need better valve springs and retainers.  Might as well go to better valves while you're at it and of course a port and polish.

While the crancase is apart, take out the balancers, balance the crank, and make provision to vacuum the crankcase.  Consider whether Falicon and Carillo need your money or not.

A good pipe, power commander, and tune should get you to 180-185hp.   With some aerodynamic work and tricks (pull the mirrors, put a sport hump on the back, make yourself small, pry the brake pads back, get low friction tires), You might have a go at it if you don't run out of pavement.

Or you can ship your engine and somewhere between 10 and 15 grand to Elton Fish (efrracing.com) and buy a quadcopter to amuse yourself until the lump comes back.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a picture somewhere around of Forrest's blown XX's GPS indicating what, 202 MPH in the high Nevada desert on a HookerXX meet?

That bike was faster'n fuck.