CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another carb question

NoOne65

So i was running about 100 or so and when i twisted the throttle at about 3/4 i had no power or bogging.. Jet size maybe? I have factory pro jetkit. The rest of the bike runns like a raped ape

Actually, I recently removed them and soaked em good in berryman chemtool, and put em back on and synched em. I have 145 main 2nd clip from the top needle height and 2 turns out from bottom. 115 in 6th is the fastest I could go anything faster and it would fall flat on its face and even stumble little bit

all vacuum lines are indeed hooked up...it pulls HARD with 1-5th 11k rpm all the way up to speed then theres nothing. if I recall the mains are for upper rpm with needle midrange and pilot screw for low...is that correct?

Pulls in 1st through 5th gear like a train, but in 6th gear it falls on its face? 

Weird, I would imagine the different gear selected wouldn't make a difference to the fuel delivery and performance of the carbs as you are still hitting higher rpms but just changing the gear ratio the power is being delivered. 

I don't know how the carby XX works, does it use the computer at all for fuel delivery? 

I am sure someone way smarter than me probably has an answer. 

only after 3/4 throttle

Just now, The Krypt Keeper said:

Pulls in 1st through 5th gear like a train, but in 6th gear it falls on its face? 

Weird, I would imagine the different gear selected wouldn't make a difference to the fuel delivery and performance of the carbs as you are still hitting higher rpms but just changing the gear ratio the power is being delivered. 

I don't know how the carby XX works, does it use the computer at all for fuel delivery? 

I am sure someone way smarter than me probably has an answer. 

I believe there is a fuel sock (filter) in the tank, could it be dirty?  Could the fuel petcock be not letting full flow?  Almost sounds like it is running out of fuel. If it ran OK with those jets before, it shouldn't be the jet size but if this is a new install, it might be.  One last thing, I have had bad spark plug wires (on a truck) that wouldn't show up until a load was put on it in high gear (like going up a hill).  Not saying that is your trouble, just throwing it out there.

10 hours ago, HANKSXXX said:

Is the airbox intact along with the plastic baffles, 2 on each side?

hmmm I'll have to check that...I just figured since everything else seemed allright that the box was on right. now that you mention it I do recall having issues sometime with the box not seating properly.

22 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I believe there is a fuel sock (filter) in the tank, could it be dirty?  Could the fuel petcock be not letting full flow?  Almost sounds like it is running out of fuel. If it ran OK with those jets before, it shouldn't be the jet size but if this is a new install, it might be.  One last thing, I have had bad spark plug wires (on a truck) that wouldn't show up until a load was put on it in high gear (like going up a hill).  Not saying that is your trouble, just throwing it out there.

fuel filter is fine I just cleaned it when I mounted the carbs after cleaning and fuel petcock seems to be fine

I used some rtv that was oil resistant (I figured oil resist would resist fuel also)  on the carb bowls after putting the jet kit in and the fuel actually disolved it into what looked like a fine powder and that clogged the carbs up. spray carb cleaner wasnt cutting it. to be honest I dont really know how long this issue has been going on because I rarely hit 100...just happened to be on a group ride that did and noticed it this past sunday