CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID-LED. How do they compare?

Dotetcher

Had the low beam go recently on my xx (HID installed a number of years ago). Started to do some research and saw LED being offered at a reasonable price. So question is who's had both, how do they compare brightness wise and which brand do you recommend? TIA

Heard much the same thing from a few other sources . . . LEDS are fine for trim & ambient lighting (and maybe shorter range stuff-at best they're like sealed beams), but they don't project like HIDs can. I suspect in some cases it may have to do with reflector design.

MotorcycleHIDlights.com. The ones I ordered. 1 x Digital Dual HID Kit Slim Ballasts (Digital Slim)  = $89.99.  $30 more than some of the other ones I was looking at but got sick and tired of trying to make a decision.

What do you mean "adapter?"  My kit really needed to be direct wired to the harness, so I took a tool and CAREFULLY removed the wires from the plug on the harness for each bulb.  They're essentially blades, and I just got a matching counterpart on the HID kit wires and plugged them together with heat shrink over the connection.

Found out the adapter they were talking about was a spacer that goes between the base of the bulb and the wire piece that holds everything in place when closed. I had a rubber washer that I used in my last install so just used that. Electrical connection was a bit different so used wires with spade connectors off old set for new. Everythings back together and looks good. Changed air filter while I was at it. Last one had quite a few miles on it and was pretty beat. Bike was running rich. Think this cured it.