CBR1100XX.org Forum

FS - 1997 Turbo XX

I swore off of carbed bikes after nothing but constant problems with my prior ownership of such entities.  I specifically waited until 1999 to get an EFI bike, and all 4 of the bikes I own currently have EFI.  It's not a shot against anybody, just a personal preference.

It's understood that there are different strokes for different folks in the world. No offense taken by anyone I'm sure.

Before this I was looking for a FI bird as well, just so I could install a turbo.  But, as I've had a 97 bird before and never in years of ownership I have never had an issue with carbs.  Call me lucky, call me crazy, but a turbo cared bird is just freaking cool.

Furbird, I only asked because I was curious.

There is a lot to be said for fuel injection but with the amount of quality turbo Blackbirds for sale, one can't be to picky.

Going back to 97-98 when Mark Moisan was selling the Blackbird turbo kits, the bikes were carbed.

When the FI bikes came out in 99, Mark bought one and took it apart to fabricate a turbo kit.

After a couple months of making stuff, he took it back apart and reassembled it stock and sold it.

At the time, there were problems he couldn't work his way through.

I don't know if it was the original computer, no boost referenced Power Commander or what but he decided against it.

Today, Hahn makes FI kits as well as Jack Frost in England (Holeshot Racing UK.)

http://www.holeshotracing.online/pdf/turbo-pricelist/tbikehonCBR11XXcarb161111.pdf

http://www.holeshotracing.online/pdf/turbo-pricelist/tbikehonCBR11XXcarb161111.pdf

Graham and I also offered kits for both but the aggravation far outweighed the fun.

My bike always gave flawless performance with carbs as well as giving 42+ mpg.

I set them slightly rich under boost for longevity, always used Top Tier premium gas and never had carb problems.

Hank was offended when myself and a few others called ALL CAR SALESMEN SCUM BAGS.  I think he took offense. :) 

Obviously it's not all of them....but I didn't think I needed to explain that :)

Much love for the Hankster and his insane build abilities.

Edited by Donald J. Trump

Awww man!!!! I'm not a rich man but I'm going to sell a car this weekend. And now it's sold. :( F me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDITED:

Years ago, I also missed out on CBR Bear's beauty of a bike.

Edited by DaveJB

1 hour ago, DaveJB said:

Awww man!!!! I'm not a rich man but I'm going to sell a car this weekend. And now it's sold. :( F me!!!!!!!! I also just missed out on CBR Bear's beauty of a bike. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong Bike...:)

CBR Bear's was white and normally aspirated

Edited by HANKSXXX

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

And while it was a beautiful and greatly farkled bike, it was gutless.

Why would it be gutless?  It wasn't a turbo but it was a Bird.  It was also one of the best looking XX that I have ever seen. 

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Why would it be gutless?  It wasn't a turbo but it was a Bird.  It was also one of the best looking XX that I have ever seen. 

Just a shitty header.

Cecome bought his motor complete from air box to mufflers, he did that to eliminate any potential of upsetting the tuning that was done assuming it was properly tuned and running at peak performance.  Then he brought me his bike to try to fix the slow out of it, he figured it needed re-tuning or maybe something needed fixing.  When he first told me he thought the bike was gutless I thought "impossible, he bought the whole power package off that million dollar bike".  As soon as I saw the header on it I knew I had to start there instead of tuning.

It's odd that Bear never noticed the bike being underpowered but maybe he thought it was just because he's a big guy.  Unless he swapped the header when he sold it all to Cecome, but that seems unlikely.  Even tho I hadn't ridden mine in a while his was fairly obviously under powered.  Then I took mine for a spin and got a reminder of what these things do.  I just realized that he bought the motor out of a whitebird then brought it to the owner of another whitebird to fix it; what are the odds?

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Just a shitty header.

Cecome bought his motor complete from air box to mufflers, he did that to eliminate any potential of upsetting the tuning that was done assuming it was properly tuned and running at peak performance.  Then he brought me his bike to try to fix the slow out of it, he figured it needed re-tuning or maybe something needed fixing.  When he first told me he thought the bike was gutless I thought "impossible, he bought the whole power package off that million dollar bike".  As soon as I saw the header on it I knew I had to start there instead of tuning.

It's odd that Bear never noticed the bike being underpowered but maybe he thought it was just because he's a big guy.  Unless he swapped the header when he sold it all to Cecome, but that seems unlikely.  Even tho I hadn't ridden mine in a while his was fairly obviously under powered.  Then I took mine for a spin and got a reminder of what these things do.  I just realized that he bought the motor out of a whitebird then brought it to the owner of another whitebird to fix it; what are the odds?

Thanks for explain.  Didn't know a header could make that much of a difference.