CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain needs adjusted every 500 miles?

silverbird1100

OK so what am I doing wrong? I very much dislike the adjusters Honda uses but we're all stuck with them.  Is there a trick so keeping the rear wheel snug, my chain loosens up all the time, it's incredibly annoying. I have the same issue with my 919 which uses the same type of adjuster. 

Does your chain loosen or your axle move?

Put tape on the swingarm so you tell if the axle moves.

If your chain is loosening that quickly, its shot.

Also, your chain does not wear evenly.  Be sure to put it through an entire rotation so that you know the loosest and tightest spots.  Adjusting at a random point will get you nothing but frustration.

another quick easy chain check is to grab a link on the back side of the rear sprocket.  if you can pull and see daylight between link and sprocket, the chain's worn.

it also bears repeating that besides going by the diagram on the swing arm, make sure there's still slack when sprockets & swing arm pivot align.  the distance between sprockets is greatest at this point in the suspension travel.

i used to get much less out of my chains, they were too tight!

Once the axle is torqued, snug up the adjustment bolts outward, counter clockwise. There's a bit of play in the adjustment system and snugging up the bolts like this takes out that play.

+ all of the above.

What brand and model chain is it? How much was it? I go with the most expensive DID. I think i adjusted my last chain on the brackbird twice in 40,000km.

Are you keeping it lubed?

• Upvote 1

Are you pulling it back to the same mark each time or further and further back?

Do you still have the red/green wear indicator sticker on your swingarm? i thought it was a joke when i first saw it but it's spot on, that's all the chain should stretch in it's life.

What size chain is it and is the rear sprocket steel?

1 hour ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I hear if you take the chain off and turn it inside out it'll go for another 5-6000 miles.

This. Also flip it front to back.

So this is embarrassing but shooting myself in the foot is my MO.

I went through 7 chains in 60K with my last blackbird. Brand new or clapping around like a seal it would loosen all the same. Tight for a couple hundred and loose as hell after that. I'm doing something wrong with the adjusters, I'll start marking to see how and what's moving. The axle or the adjuster it self.  The only thing I've really tried is snugging the nuts (hehe) but that didn't seem to do anything.

Edited by silverbird1100

I would guess you are over tightening and/or under oiling.  Or maybe using crap ass chains.

Are you trying to keep it stretched tight or book spec?  How often do you lube and with what?

Many love chain wax, I prefer oils that I believe have a better chance of soaking into the rollers, presently using Motul Road.  I like to oil after a ride with the chain still hot and let it cool and suck the oil in as it cools, that's my theory anyway.  I put the bike on a stand, idling in 1st, and gently squeeze the button so it's lightly spraying.  I aim closely on one side's o-rings, then the other, then coat the center area.  Every 300 miles seems to do pretty well, I avoid riding in rain.  Oiling cold then parking it might do better since the oil will stay thinner longer, hard to say.  Last time I did the Duc I was trying to keep things clean so I oiled without running it so it wouldn't spatter, it was parked in the house and I didn't feel like taking it out side to lube.  It seemed to do a fine job.  I rolled the tire a lot to disperse the oil then wiped it down to minimize spatter when I went for a ride the next morning.  I only put about 1000 miles on the Duc before selling it, mostly lots of short trips playing racer boy when possible, never had to adjust it.  I probably oiled it 3-4 times while having it.

I sold my SuperHawk with about 12k, factory chain had plenty left on it.  It did some casual cruising, but lots of spirited play as well as quite a bit of dyno time.

Pro-oiler.  have been using used engine oil for the last year or so. 
I much prefer not having to carry the oil or wax around. 
chain has a much longer life if kept lubricated.

Edited by kiwimack

I clean my chain and lube it up every 500 - 1000 miles or so.. nothing fancy, grunge brush and kero... wipe down good, DuPont spray wax and go ride.

Got 26k miles on my first chain, got 18k on this chain and still looks like new, not stretched and no kinks to. Also on the original rear sprocket made out of the same shit airplanes black boxes are made from it seems. Still looks like new..

Simple formula in making these things last

Get a good chain, not some mickey mouse crap (O-ring is good, X-ring better)

clean and lube (a clean and lubed chain is a happy chain)

properly adjust and align the chain