CBR1100XX.org Forum

Orginal Tire Tread Depth Question

Zero Knievel

In general, how deep are the treads on a new motorcycle tire?

I'll probably replace both just because of age (last replaced back in 2012), but the front tire normally lasts longer than my rear AND I've not done any real trips over the last few years.  I'm measuring 1/10 of an inch depth at the lowest point, but if I measure against a part that looks like it never touched the ground, it's maybe 17/100 of an inch deep.

I typically get 12-14K out of a front tire...8-10K out of a rear.

1 hour ago, Redbird said:

Same way you get 8-10k out of a rear, I suppose. 

Thanks.  That made me LOL.

If you ride conservatively and do mostly touring, they tend to last for a while.  Of course, I often wait until I see the wear bars before I replace them.

On my trip to Nova Scotia, the cords were showing on the rear when I stopped in Upstate New York.

Every model tire will have it's own tread depth.  If you want to know what yours were see the manufacturer's website.  The original depth doesn't matter anyway, the law and/or your discretion will determine the minimum safe depth regardless what they started out with.  Legal minimum is 1mm for a bike, 2/32 for a car-from memory.  4 years on a tire that hasn't been abused isn't bad.  They do go to shit with age but generally speaking it's not considered an issue at all 'till 5years.  Replacement is generally recommended at 7 with 10 being the reccomended max.  As a tire ages it'll have less traction and eventually it'll blow out or have tread separation issues when the components degrade enough.  Tires that have been run hard or low on air will degrade faster.

I am a fairly  aggressive rider for an old man, i am 64 and weigh 250lbs with over 20K miles on my 01 Bird, am geting 4-5 thousand miles out of rears, twice that out of fronts. I just watch for the ware bars between the treads, and keep a critical eye on the tire pressure. this is typical ware on a performance bike, I also have a Suzuki 1200 Bandit and a Kawasaki  ZRX 1200  all these bikes go threw tires at about the same rate. 10K miles out of a rear, seriously ???

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

You haven't ridden with Aunt Sylvia, have you?  He's not wearing out throttle cables very quickly either.

I'm not sure why one of those would wear out if you're doing the maintenance they call for.  The only one I ever replaced I damaged working on something and it eventually started binding.

I had to shave rubber OFF my tires after the last time Mike rode my bike.  😏

Seriously, I live in the flatlands, and ride conservatively, ( slow as shit).

I can stretch a PR rear to the cords at 8K miles.  But that is really pushing it.

Mike,

if you have to ask, replace them.  Tires are cheaper than skin.  

Shop for a good deal and keep a new set under your bed.

b89b7486.jpg

This tire had about 3500 miles on it when I got home from Hookers XX. I recall leaning the bike left and right while going straight with Chris riding next to me on I-5

22 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

if you have to ask, replace them.  Tires are cheaper than skin.  

So true.

I was hoping the front still had plenty of wear, but you're right, I have that nagging voice in my head telling me it's too close to be sure so why risk it.

Mileage wise, it's close enough on wear that I feel sick about changing them early but don't feel like trusting them for another long trip.

The 05 Busa I bought a few months ago still had the factory front tire with 14K on the odo.  Yes, it was very smooth.  If you looked closely, you could just start to make out the texture of the cords beneath the rubber.  I wouldn't even ride it down the street until I put on a new one.  It's amazing how long some of these tires will go and still hold air.  I have never run a tire to the point where cords are showing.  A blow-out on a bike can be a life-changing event.  No thanks.

On 4/18/2016 at 1:04 AM, TOXXIC said:

This tire had about 3500 miles on it when I got home from Hookers XX. I recall leaning the bike left and right while going straight with Chris riding next to me on I-5

In a pinch, you can dismount the tire, turn it inside out and remount it.  Traction sucks, but you can another 4-500 miles out of it. 

• Upvote 1

Joe,

when you do this.

do you put a tire patch on the tread side or inner carcass side of the tire?

Historical posts would indicate carcass side on a inside out tire.

3 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

Joe,

when you do this.

do you put a tire patch on the tread side or inner carcass side of the tire?

Historical posts would indicate carcass side on a inside out tire.

That is correct.  Placing the patch on the outside allows for heat curing of the patch adhesive.  This prevents migration and delamination of the patching substrate.  It also causes an unusually deep droning sound at highway speeds, which when coupled with the really awesome sound of a GP muffler eliminator makes the bitches be flashing their titties all down the slab, yo.

• Upvote 1