CBR1100XX.org Forum

First Valve Adjustment

RC Randy

Haven't owned a bike that needed a valve adjustment until now. My 01 XX with 35k had a tight exhaust valve and I just finished reinstalling the cams, rolled the motor over 3-4 times and rechecked.

Range is .19mm to .25 mm.

Initial check was .19mm on one of the #4 EX valves-all others were good.

With a micrometer the shim I removed is a 1.91mm

Have a shim kit and the one that is in the 1.90mm compartment that shows 1.90mm on the shim, reads 1.86mm with a micrometer so that is the one I installed.

After reassembling and rechecking I went from .19mm to 20mm. I did use a light coat of assemble lube on everything before reassembling and wondering if this could have anything to do with it.

Not sure if I should trust my micrometer measurements on the shims that have been swapped or my post valve check?

It's been so long since I've seen anybody post about actually having to do a valve adjustment that I forgot that's even in the manual.  I'm sure the lube is causing the measurement discrepancy, but maybe somebody who's been there will chime in.

.04 is a lot of change for just lube, IMO. I'd start by checking some of the other shims in the kit with your micrometer and a known good one, or at least a different one. Any discrepancies and you might be pulling the cam again.

Yes, I did put assembly lube on he shim. I'm going to put it back together, do a throttle body sync, new plugs, air filter, and check them again in 15K.

I'm trusting common sense and the measurements I took during the process and I did triple check. I went with a .05 smaller shim which should take me from .19 to .24 clearance. I did check the rest of the intakes on this round after reinstalling the cams and they stayed the same.

Odd to only get .01 clearance increase from a .05 smaller shim, so hopefully running will seat things and it will be ok next check.

Last time I checked my 99XX at 77k it was still in range and needed no adjustment. It has never needed a shim since new, but now has about 100k so it will be next.

Edited by RC Randy