CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motor issue

NoOne65

I need some ideas please. I think I have been at it too long so was hoping for something fresh I might not have thought of. I am having some issues with my 97 carbed blackbird. Its running like its missing...no power at any speed...number 3 cylinder is not as hot as the other 3. I have had the carbs off and apart 3 times. I have never had issues removing, cleaning, and tuning carbs. I swapped coils. decrease fuel/air mixture way lower than normal (1.5 turns). I did notice debris in the float bowls so installed additional fuel filter on each line. Spark plug is black as if its too rich...correct me if I am wrong a rich cylinder will be cooler than the normal ones right? Anyway any ideas?

Have you tried new plugs? If the plug is black it should be getting enough fuel but lacking enough spark. When you swapped coils was it still #3 that was the problem? And have you pulled the wire to check the spark?

"Running like it's missing"-misfiring at idle and under power?

"no power at any speed"- like a 50cc moped could outrun you, or just not achieving XX power?

Carbs appart 3 times trying to cure this, or in the past?

Yes, a rich mix can cause a cold burn, I assume by temperature you mean that exhaust pipe is colder?  

Are there any vacuum hoses on #3 that aren't on the others?  I'm thinking maybe the fuel valve and maybe it's leaking, or maybe a canister purge hose, or something else-I don't recall the vacuum hose set-up.

If not a hose issue-compression check, replace or at least swap the plugs around, test plug wires with an ohm meter.

Edited by superhawk996

18 hours ago, polysyllabicgibbs said:

Have you tried new plugs? If the plug is black it should be getting enough fuel but lacking enough spark. When you swapped coils was it still #3 that was the problem? And have you pulled the wire to check the spark?

Plugs are new. I did check the spark at the coil and yes problem was still number 3 after the swap

17 hours ago, John01XX said:

If you have the plugs out, check compression in each cylinder

I have a friend coming Friday with a tester so going to check that

14 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

"Running like it's missing"-misfiring at idle and under power?

"no power at any speed"- like a 50cc moped could outrun you, or just not achieving XX power?

Carbs appart 3 times trying to cure this, or in the past?

Yes, a rich mix can cause a cold burn, I assume by temperature you mean that exhaust pipe is colder?  

Are there any vacuum hoses on #3 that aren't on the others?  I'm thinking maybe the fuel valve and maybe it's leaking, or maybe a canister purge hose, or something else-I don't recall the vacuum hose set-up.

If not a hose issue-compression check, replace or at least swap the plugs around, test plug wires with an ohm meter.

misfiring at idle and under acceleration...sounds like my friends SV650

no power as in crack the throttle and just kinda bogs down in any gear or any speed and since i am so use to the power yea like a 50cc moped to me! lol

Carbs apart 3 times to solve this issue but not the first time I have had them apart. I hit every hole with carb cleaner...

If I spray water on 1,2,4 it evaporates quite fast but on number 3 just kinda sizzles and evaporates

no hoses on number 3...fuel valve is on number 2...not sure what a canister purge hose is. 

I will check the wires friday when I do compression test

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Is the float level in the carbs OK? No small drips of fuel under the bike?

Yes the level is good, valves are good and no fuel leakage. I did notice something about the diaphrams sliders. Two of them have small holes and the other have two holes. dunno if that has anything to do with my issues but could it be a contributing factor? I referenced some old carbs I have and the center 2 have the larger hole and the outer the smaller

3 minutes ago, JB4XX said:

Want to try a different coil and wires?

I appreciate the offer! I did switch the coils and the problem didnt move to another cyclinder...I have a friend gonna help me check compression and leakdown friday

Edited by NoOne65

I had one start missing,  run on 2 or 3 cylinders, then run fine. ...

Turned out the plug wires had made contact with radiator fan, spark was occasionally jumping to the radiator.   Tested it by wrapping them up, started and idled fine...changed out plug wires...no problems! 

Good idea, Josh.

Also, you mentioned you had another set of carbs.  Have tried switching out the slide (with diaphragm) to see if maybe that's the problem?

28 minutes ago, JB4XX said:

I had one start missing,  run on 2 or 3 cylinders, then run fine. ...

Turned out the plug wires had made contact with radiator fan, spark was occasionally jumping to the radiator.   Tested it by wrapping them up, started and idled fine...changed out plug wires...no problems! 

You mentioned earlier you had a set of wires and coil? 

11 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Good idea, Josh.

Also, you mentioned you had another set of carbs.  Have tried switching out the slide (with diaphragm) to see if maybe that's the problem?

The other set of carbs isnt complete but the 3rd carb was good and I swapped it out and no change...so #3 compression is good,carb is good and coil swap most likely means they are good that leaves plug wires (Plugs are actually new)...could any other carb cause this issue? I only assume its number 3 cylinder issue because of the temperature difference between 1,2,4 and 3...I am considering swapping out 1 and 2 also...number 4 spare I had to drill out pilot screw and now it has brass stuck in the threads...I need to find a tap that fits it to make it useable

2 minutes ago, HANKSXXX said:

Have you checked carb sync?
Only reason  I ask is I you said you changed the #3 carb for another one.

Yes carb sync was checked and done if needed after each removal and remount

There could still be something wrong in the carb, but I dismissed that, seeing as how you had them apart 3 times and still have the issue.  Only thing left is the plug wires.  Hope you figure it out.

• Upvote 1

So I went ahead and swapped out the other 2 carbs and short test run it has mid and hi range power back...now I just have to futz with the idle...After throttle is applied it kinda hangs and then slowly decreases to idle...too lean?

7 hours ago, NoOne65 said:

So I went ahead and swapped out the other 2 carbs and short test run it has mid and hi range power back...now I just have to futz with the idle...After throttle is applied it kinda hangs and then slowly decreases to idle...too lean?

Likely lean, maybe sync issue.  And possible leak as Hank said.

Edited by superhawk996