CBR1100XX.org Forum

Voltmeter

RC Randy

Found these little compact voltmeters on Ebay for only $7.18 shipped direct from China. They are waterproof, come in different colors, and small enough, it is pretty easy to find a place to mount in your cockpit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171764710007?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=470716404364&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had been using the Signal Dynamics LED meter that changes color at different values, but you never could see the exact fluctuations. I credit it to getting me home one day when the original stator quit on my 99 XX at 77K, and I was about 100 miles from home. It went red, I pulled over, pulled the fuse to the headlight and the bike cranked normally when I made it home. All my bikes will soon have these little Chinese meters, even my ZX14, because I don't usually have the display showing volts.

P1010574.jpg

nice find, thanks for posting, nice work mounting it too, how did you do it?

Paul- Didn't take long

Scribe mark on panel with tip of a Xacto knife around meter

Dremel close to the scribe marks

Use Xacto to shave panel until meter slides through

Tack in place with thick CA glue

Used black silicone around meter on back side

Wire to 12V source-I used a connector inline so I can unplug it when needing to remove panel

Would you measure the amperage draw on it?

I don't have  meter at home to measure mA, but will try to bring one from work. Says <10mA, but I put mine on switched power so I didn't have to worry about battery drain.

Edited by RC Randy

16 minutes ago, paul99xx said:

i'm thinking about one of these now, manufacturers should have been putting charge idiot light along time ago

http://roadstercycle.com/Motorcycle%20voltage%20monitor.htm

Better than nothing, but not better than a voltmeter if you know what to look for and pay attention to it.  Having both would be a better option, one to alert and the other to see what's actually happening.  The light allowing 13.2 as ok is ridiculous; yes it charging, but not ok.  They don't publish the voltages for amber, red, or flashing red; but if 13.2 is considered normal charging I'm guessing the red zone will be below operational voltage for most bikes.

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Better than nothing, but not better than a voltmeter if you know what to look for and pay attention to it.  Having both would be a better option, one to alert and the other to see what's actually happening.  The light allowing 13.2 as ok is ridiculous; yes it charging, but not ok.  They don't publish the voltages for amber, red, or flashing red; but if 13.2 is considered normal charging I'm guessing the red zone will be below operational voltage for most bikes.

Being able to see voltage numbers was why i went from the kuryakin volt meter which just had a row of different coloured lights,to the volt meter rc randy posted.mines attached in pretty much the same spot as rc randy's but fitted without cutting into the plastic by using stick on velcro dots .I have it wired into the fans wiring cable and while it shows a slightly lower voltage than when i put a volt meter directly to the battery it gives me a pretty good idea whats going on.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

did they set it so low so it doesn't go off every time you're idling?

Possibly.  I don't think mine goes that low at idle, but if I were relying on that indicator I'd rather have false alerts at idle than to not know something's starting to go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it wired to monitor the voltage of the battery. 

Figure if stator goes tits up I will get a fluctuation and a drop, if regulator let's go I will see a spike in voltage and get it shutoff before more damage occurs. 

Would love to monitor all 3 individually.

I meant where did you tap into, just any switched power that you found or somewhere else?  The reason I ask is there have been other threads that suggested that it makes a difference where it is connected to get accurate readings.

Direct to the battery would be the most accurate, but you'd need a switch to keep it from draining the battery.  The best automatic spot that comes to mind would be one of the relays or fuses that's only powered with the engine on.  I've read of people tapping into the headlight wire because it's close.  Your reading would be lower than actual battery voltage, but not a huge deal as long as you establish what your normal voltage is....and know it'll turn off with the high beam and that it'll change if you put in a different power bulb or if the the bulb burns out.