CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB Aprilia SXV 550 (bought)

I decided to start my motard search and am interested in a 2008 or 2009 Aprilia SXV 550. I know you guys are always finding stuff.  If you happen to pass a deal on a nicely equipped example, please PM me with a link.  No rush...taking my time though I should have pulled the trigger late last summer on a deal I found.  Guy dropped his price over the course of a few months from $5K to $3500. Woulda coulda shoulda.

Oh, didn't I lust for that bike back in the day.  She's needy, though, like the KTM - IIRC the oil changes and valve checks are pretty rapid-paced.  And it's double the fun on valve checks.  I really wanted an FI bike, and 70HP from a light v-twin has to be a blast.  Ultimately, I went with the KTM for dealer support at the time, but the Ape being only a 5 speed was also in the back of my mind.  The KTM dealer went out of business about 3 months after I bought my 530.  Then again, the Aprilia dealer didn't last a whole lot longer - 2008 saw many a gravestone planted in front of toy stores.

When you get one, can I putt around the Jennings parking lot on it like a grandma on her way to church on Sunday?

My sickness for wanting to own uncommon, high maintenance bikes with shitty dealer, parts, and aftermarket support is well documented in PMs with Tim.

Having been a previous Ape owner, I am familiar with AF1 and I have a dealer less than 10 miles from the house. I have also read everything I can about the bike and have accepted the fact that she will be in a lift about every 500-1000 miles. Btw....valve adjustments require an engine drop. Woot. 

Even still, it calls me and haunts my REM sleep pretending to be a wet dream and will likely be a slasher film (but one that has big breasted, naked woman screaming for their lives). 

3 hours ago, Speed99 said:

Mike, the best I can do is let you help me change the oil before the track day. I really don't like letting people ride my bikes. :-)

Jeebus, with all we've been through... You won't let me adjust the valves?

Lol. 

Joe

thanks for the links. Gonna look at the SXV a little closer. Not interested in the RXV. It is a trail set up that you can run on the road. The SXV is a road bike you can run on trails. Different components and specs. Harder to set up the RXV for street. I do appreciate it though. 

Ugh. I owned one of these for about 5 minutes back in 2010. Its like dating an Italian supermodel. You look good on it, its fun to ride for about 10 minutes. The rest of the time its bitching, whining and taking your money. I was glad to be rid of it.

It's been on for almost a month, maybe he would entertain an offer.  I've missed out on a few deals because I thought my price was too low, then find out they sold for that price or less.

It's a '07, you said you wanted '08-'09; just thought I'd point it out in case you didn't notice.

6 hours ago, racer212 said:

Ugh. I owned one of these for about 5 minutes back in 2010. Its like dating an Italian supermodel. You look good on it, its fun to ride for about 10 minutes. The rest of the time its bitching, whining and taking your money. I was glad to be rid of it.

So you know the symptoms of my sickness. I may buy it simply based on this recommendation. LOL

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It's been on for almost a month, maybe he would entertain an offer.  I've missed out on a few deals because I thought my price was too low, then find out they sold for that price or less.

It's a '07, you said you wanted '08-'09; just thought I'd point it out in case you didn't notice.

I saw that. Thank you. The 07 had some issues but this example seems to have them covered 

• 3 weeks later...

Btw....valve adjustments require an engine drop. Woot.

!! Seriously?? Crap. And I thought the front wheel installation on a Honda CBX550 was dumb!

• 2 weeks later...