CBR1100XX.org Forum

SOLD Red '06 Ducati 999s monoposto. 12,600 mi. Salvage. $6000

It pains me to sell, but pains me to ride; old, weak, scoliosis, etc. I enjoy seeing it in the family room keeping the XX company, but I don't have the kind of income to justify an expensive piece of art. Altho it's a very capable bike and the easiest Ducati superbike to ride, it just doesn't fit me and I find myself able to ride the XX harder more confidently. The bike runs great and it got it's 12,500 Mi. service a little early right before I got it. Timing belts, valve adj. etc. He also did all the fluids and installed a set of pretty Corse coolant hoses. He replaced a lot of hardware as well as the timing belt covers and some other parts 'because they looked old'. I have the take-offs.

I cored the muffler retaining the cats so it's smog legal, looks stock, but sounds similar to a Termignoni full system. I have the stock muffler for those who prefer a quiet ride. I geared it down a little for easier street riding, I have the stock sprocket. I also bought a harness that lets you plug your PC into the ECU to tweak tuning, do diagnostics, and reset the service light; the software is free to download.

The only issue it has is that the left fork leaks. Both were leaking when I got it, don't recall which leaked more. I cleaned the seals with a thin piece of plastic slid between the fork tube & seal, there's a tool for doing it but I didn't wanna wait to get one. It worked for quite a while 'till it sat for about a month and the left started leaking again. I haven't tried another cleaning, maybe it would work. The Ohlins seals have very low tension and are known to be an issue so many people replace them with GSXR seals and that would be the long term solution to the issue.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/403586-2006-ducati-999s-superbike-california.html This was the sale ad from the previous owner which gives a lot of details and photos. It's been ridden now so it's not the clean pristine museum piece it was in his photos, but no damage has been done. What he didn't know when he posted the ad was that it had a salvage title. It became known later so the price dropped and I bought it.

Not in his photos are frame plugs and mirrors, he liked it without the mirrors and didn't install them 'till it was for sale. There may be some other extras I haven't noticed.

post-417-0-09162100-1455010572_thumb.jpg

So has it been inspected and been issued a rebuilt title (revived may be the term there) or is it still salvage? Because if it's salvage, and you've been riding it, let's just say you're a brave soul to do that in the People's Republic of California. That is one lengthy process to get it "revived".

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13

This is one of the main things I do here in Alabama which is the reason I'm asking. Salvage vehicles are illegal to operate and are subject to immediate impound here.

I couldn't title it without the inspection, but it was very simple. I guess it's revived, but the title is branded SALVAGE and that's what everyone calls it. A person can't obtain a title without the inspection here-generally. The guy I bought it from had a clean title because it slipped through the cracks. Apparently when he bought it the salvage hadn't yet gone through the system so he got an unbranded title. He sold it to someone else before me and when the guy went to transfer it is when it was discovered, that guy returned it and got his $ back, then I bought it and took it for inspection to get title. With the price of new Duc parts and service it doesn't take much to total one, I've read of driveway drops totaling them. Insuring it was no problem as well, some people think you can't insure a salvaged title vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Just sold it.  Advertised at 6500 and let it go at 6100 without any of the extras.  Sad moment, but it should be getting enjoyed for more than an ornament.  Now to sell the pile of extras.