CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wiring Harness Issue

John01XX

Local friend here in So Florida has a 1999 Bird with an FI light so went to do the standard corroded test block fix and discovered most of the wires in the harness are all black and corroded for at least a foot.

He decided to just replace the harness but according to Honda the harness is no longer available for a 1999 or 2000 model. (discontinued)

He owns two BlackBirds his 99 model and his wife also rides a Bird.

He is very capable of completely rewiring the Bird but the time and labor hours would be intense to say the least.

Anyone know of a source for a harness or a solution to the problem, short of a complete rewire?

Why would he not trace the wires back a foot and solder extensions if needed?

Sure a pain...but replacing the harness connector requires the proper crimping tools for that specific pin. That sucks and it is another corroded connector waiting to happen. That seems like faulty logic to me.

I sold the harness from the 2000 that I parted out.

His current harness is full of corrosion. he started stripping back in all directions and stopped at a foot on multiple wires so gave up and decided to buy a new main harness from Honda but found out they are no more. He may end up doing a complete rewire himself but looking for a useable replacement instead.

According to Honda it has to be a 1999 or 2000 harness to work(same part number). In 2001 the Bird went digital so don't know if a 2001-2003 digital harness will work.

Are the connectors special Honda proprietary parts?

Don't know, but there's no point in replacing it so it doesn't matter. If it's corroded the best fix is to remove it and solder all the wires together. If it's clean then it can be sealed and left on. The connector is of no use to retain.

Interestingly, I found what looks like the same connector on my friend's sandrail which uses a Honda motor and harness. I'll have a closer look at it next weekend when I get back out to it.

Edited by superhawk996

The connector is not the issue.

He has multiple wires that are all corroded up. He was looking to replace the whole harness itself due to finding so many wires badly corroded. He was opening up the harness and cutting back wires looking for good looking copper and stopped peeling back insulation at a foot log in multiple directions on multiple wires

I saw harnesses on ebay from $35, take one and delete the connector, done. Making a whole harness sounds like a heck of a job, lots of wires and even more pins to install. Even if one you bought needed some cutting and fixing it would be a hell of a lot less work and I'm guessing the materials to build one would cost more than a used harness.