CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turn-key Blackbird Drag-bike

I'm thinking of building something much faster, and can't afford to race both. Wanted to "check the waters", just in case someone(Blackbird lover) here might be interested in drag racing, but doesn't have the time to build one. This old girl is race ready and needs nothing. I will race it in 2016, if no one buys it before the season starts.

1999 Honda CBR1100XX, about 25K miles (most of that street miles), never crashed, 1-owner (me), still has a current tag, still have all parts to put it back on the street, which I would include in the package, unless you don't want them. She has won at least 40 races, 25+ runner-ups, and 11 championships, plus one trip to a final in Pomona (almost got to go this year). That is just for the past 6 years. She is very consistent. Would love to see someone here continue her legacy.

Who would like to give me $6000 obo for the whole deal?

Can get better pics, if needed.

Requested mod list:

Swing-arm is a stock unit with 6" extensions welded on and lower wheelie-bar bracket added.

Wheelie bars are from Pingel specifically for a Bird, but were modified for the extended swing-arm and additional length.

Front forks are internally lowered about 2". This is easily reversible. Single-stage MRE lock-up (6 springs). MPS air over hydraulic clutch M/C for button launching on Dedenbear delay box. Electric over air shifter with electronic kill, run with high pressure CO2. Bottle fits under cut-down seat.

Motor mods are:

2mm over Wiseco pistons with .018" head gasket and additional .020" machined off the block for a compression bump.

Head is completely stock, except for adj. cam sprockets. Cam timing is still stock however. Balance shafts replaced with dummys.

Transmission has a drag race cut done by Fast By Gast. Has DynoJet P/C 3. Dynatech ARC-2 ignition box with Dyna coils.

Stock air box with pair valve block off. Header is a Yosh RS-3 with un-baffled extension.

All stock gauges still work. I think that's everything. This bike is so tough, I'm still using the factory original cush drive. Might even have the original tool strap. LOL

Best 1/4 mile pass in this configuration was in Valdosta, GA. 9.46 @ 142. Best 1/8 was in Dallas. 5.98 @113 with really good air conditions.

I'm about 215 lbs. in gear.

post-1134-0-22474200-1451506214_thumb.jp

post-1134-0-55834900-1451506237_thumb.jp

Edited by jon haney

If I took the fur off the Furbird, mine would look strikingly similar to yours. But I can clearly see you have an extended and strengthened swingarm, some sort of aftermarket clutch system and accompanying clutch cover, an airshifter (or electric version of such), and what I would assume is a custom set of wheelie bars for the aforementioned swingarm setup. To a bracket racer, it's worth what you're asking just off it's history and the pictures, but if that ET sign is any indication, it's had motor work as well.

Okay. I figured I'd be lucky to find a buyer for such a unique piece of equipment, but maybe it's still a little early to lose hope. I will continue to race the old girl this year until such a time the new bike is competitive. Then I will put her back on the street for a, hopefully, easier sale.

Of course, then I will have lots of drag race parts to sell. Anyone interested in those? Furbird?

Furbird has been parked for 3 seasons now. The closest track doesn't do anything with bikes except test and tune, and the next closest track I have to go with an armed security detail, and riding down the track while shooting both directions with Uzi's is really affecting my ET's.

• Upvote 1

Still trying to sell her? Been thinking about turning mine into a drag bike as I never rider it on the street anymore. This would save some trouble.

I was thinking of making a trip to Indy this year to race the NHDRO sanction. Might think a little harder, if you want to come take a look at her. I've raced at Indy twice before, and got a decent check both times.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Is this the same one that has goofy compression or a different bike?

The compression was only goofy cause my mechanic (me) put too much oil in the cylinders for the "wet test". I have since started it, road around the block, ran very well. Even if I wasn't building a new bike, I would race it as is for a couple more seasons.

What is the "new bike"?

3 guesses, but I doubt you'll need more than 1. :D

I get that it may run ok and that some of the readings were extra goofy because of over-oiling but one cylinder has undisputed low compression, possibly caused by the backward piston and its damage, but it seems uncool to not disclose that even if it doesn't cause drivability issues.

If that is a run-on sentence and dickish I blame the Sailor Jerry intensifying my lack of education & tolerance.

• Upvote 1

3 guesses, but I doubt you'll need more than 1

As long as the name doesn't start with a K or S. ;) A real man would use a Motor Guzzi. :D

Okay, I'll go with an "H" then. ;)

Sorry, not a Honda.

Don't think I've ever seen a Guzzi run a 8.90 quarter-mile.

Edited by jon haney

I get that it may run ok and that some of the readings were extra goofy because of over-oiling but one cylinder has undisputed low compression, possibly caused by the backward piston and its damage, but it seems uncool to not disclose that even if it doesn't cause drivability issues.

If that is a run-on sentence and dickish I blame the Sailor Jerry intensifying my lack of education & tolerance.

I'm going to go with slightly dickish, but this is the ORG. Technically, the numbers have been disclosed (at least in the other thread), but no one in this thread has specifically asked for numbers, so don't convict me before the crime.

The piston you mentioned was oriented correctly back in 2008, and the exhaust valves, guides, and seals were all replaced for that cylinder. Motor has not been touched since then, and even with hundreds of passes on it, still runs the same numbers it did in 2009. I was just thinking yesterday that I might put her back on the street and ride it to Cody, WY in June. In other words, I have complete confidence in the reliability of this machine whether on track or on the road.

• Upvote 1

Well you won't have any trouble finding parts for that bike. I'll be interested to see if you can get the same consistency. The quicker you go, the harder it is to keep it.

That is true, but I'm confident I can get it to run 8.90 with at least the consistency of the Bird. A slider clutch is a big part of that equation, along with not getting greedy with 60' times. What's fun is to watch a 6.0 second dragster make 4 passes within a 2 hundredths window. :blink:

Pretty sure he won Top Dragster that day.

• Upvote 1

.02 window? The local track has an event where you have to try to hit zero on the thousandth. Closest one to dead on with a zero (for instance, 8.900) wins the pot. One night they had three people run dead on with a zero and had to go to the fourth digit to determine a winner. I remember back in the 90's when life was so much easier. Those of us on bikes were happy to just be hitting the tenth on dial-ins!

• Upvote 2

I'm running 9.91 with my 05 Busa, stock wheel base, lowered 1" strapped front, up one tooth rear, full exhaust, air box mod. If I didn't enjoy corners I could easily get it into the 8s consistently. But I still miss my Bird and wish I had the cash for this one

• Upvote 1

I'm running 9.91 with my 05 Busa, stock wheel base, lowered 1" strapped front, up one tooth rear, full exhaust, air box mod. If I didn't enjoy corners I could easily get it into the 8s consistently. But I still miss my Bird and wish I had the cash for this one

I know this Busa build is going to take longer than I think, so if you start saving now,,,,,,,,,,, :)

• Upvote 1