CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help with my new stator replacement

John01XX

last night I finished installing a new Ricks stator in my 01 Bird

Everything went smooth

Got the starter drive sprocket and alignment pin back in, new gasket and cover slide right on.

Bolted it down and cranked it up and checked voltage - all good

13.2 at idle and 14.4 at 3500 rpm

My problem is there is now a rattle noise coming from inside the cover that is very pronounced when blipping the throttle and especially when decelerating. Sounds like something is loose and vibrating but no noise when idling.

I removed the cover again and checked everything and reinstalled two times now and still the same problem.

I am now going to look up the parts fische and check to make sure I have not missed a shim or something that needs to be put in but I don't think so.

I can not find any marks to show where anything is rubbing - no shinny spots on the rotor, stator or housing.

Any suggestions ?

Two pictures of what it looks like opened up

post-77-0-97302300-1450108099_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-73330200-1450108133_thumb.jpg

Pretty odd as I don't think there's anything in that should be effected by engine load. Blip rattle: both my birds and some other bikes rattle when blipping from idle unless the clutch is pulled, seems to be normal. Try it with the clutch in and if it goes away you can rest that it's not from the stator.

Also making noise on decel is strange. Maybe it's something else that's rattling and not from inside the cover, something else that got moved or loosened when doing the replacement. Try it with the fairing still off if you haven't reassembled yet. Get someone to blip the throttle while you put your ear to the cover, remember to try it with the clutch in.

The mystery is solved!!

After three tries I decided to remove the new stator and fire it up and see if there was a noise but upon removing the side cover the forth time I discovered the 4 stator retainer bolts had vibrated loose and the magnetic rotor was causing the stator itself to oscillate making the clattering sound I was hearing.

I must admit that I must not have tightened them down properly although I would like to believe that they just vibrated loose......yea yea that the ticket they vibrated loose!!!

Anyway all tightened up and she is purring again.

I did speak with a retired harley mechanic friend and he made a great suggestion. I was having trouble getting the gasket to stay in place while putting the cover on so by his suggestion I ran over to Home Depot and bought a pair of 6mm x 3" long bolts. ground off the heads and screwed them into the case first. then slid the gasket over the two bolts and over the bottom alignment dowl. The gasket now stays exactly where it is suppose to be while I align the stator cover over the protruding bolts. Cover slides right on perfectly aligned and the magnetic rotor hold it all together. Unscrew the long bolts by hand and insert all the stock 6mm bolts.

Works like a champ especially if you have to remove the cover 4 times!!

here is a picture with one of the bolts still screwed in and the over laying on the cover for length reference.

post-77-0-84220800-1450119982_thumb.jpg

Couldnt you just secure the gasket with Hi-Tack spray?

yes if you have it

The paper gasket gets pulled on each time the cover goes off and back on and I did that on/off cycle 4 times!

The bolts worked really well and they align the lower alignment dowel and the starter reducer gear pin quick and easy as well as holding gasket in the proper place. The bolts were cheaper than the Hi-tack spray.

yes if you have it

The paper gasket gets pulled on each time the cover goes off and back on and I did that on/off cycle 4 times!

The bolts worked really well and they align the lower alignment dowel and the starter reducer gear pin quick and easy as well as holding gasket in the proper place. The bolts were cheaper than the Hi-tack spray.

just hi-tack one side so you can remove/replace. Your old lady's hair spray would work too, and its cheaper still....

yes if you have it

just hi-tack one side so you can remove/replace. Your old lady's hair spray would work too, and its cheaper still....

So now you want me to buy women's hair spray? I don't have an old lady!!!

I got rid of all by motorcycles and stuff to marry my wife and 8 years later I divorced and traded her in for a CBR1000F and never looked back.

I got rid of all by motorcycles and stuff to marry my wife and 8 years later I divorced and traded her in for a CBR1000F and never looked back.

^^^^^ that is funny

Bought a BMW, 2nd XX and KLR since my last wife.